Reoccuring Nightmares

cdejdemommy

TTC Baby Three
Reaction score
Excerpt from my Journal:
Lately I've been having some pretty bad dreams. At least once a week I have a dream that I'm on the beach. Sometimes I'm with my kids, sometimes I'm with my husband, sometimes I'm just by myself. As I'm enjoying the sea air and the sun all of a sudden I peer out over the sea and the water is looking a little rough. Next thing I know a huge tidal waves is sweeping across the water heading to the shore and I'm scrambling to get away from it. If my kids are with my I can't find them and I'm screaming for them everywhere.

I've had this same dream on and off for about a year now. I'll never forget (and neither will my husband) the time I was having this dream and the tidal waves actually swallowed me up. I died in my dream and I saw this radiant light beaming in front of me so I walked towards it. Clouds and stars were whizzing by me and as soon as I got to the light I heard a voice that said "Not yet, Diane." and I woke up in a pool of sweat. My heart was pounding and I screamed out "Oh my God!" David woke up and said "What's wrong, Diane?!" I said "I just died! Oh my God, I just died!" I got up and started walking around and David was telling me that I just had a bad dream and to get back in bed. I couldn't even accept that it was a dream because it was SO real and I was actually trying to convince David that I had died in a tidal wave and was on my way to some sort of paradise, Heaven maybe and God told me "Not yet." He of course thought I was a whack job.

Later that day I still couldn't shake that dream but I never went online and tried to interpret it. This morning after my dream I looked it up and this is what it says:

Dreaming of a tidal wave, or any massive wave, is usually experienced from the viewpoint of watching it approach, either on shore, from a hill or some other near-by vantage point. This dream may often be accompanied by a sense of fear or panic. To understand dreams of this nature, it can help to start by understanding what water and the sea mean to us in dreams. If we look at water in our dreams as a symbol of our emotions and feelings, part of our inner world, then tidal waves can be like our emotions welling up and getting a little out of control. One of the advantages of being on shore or nearby watching the wave approach in the dream, is that it gives us an opportunity to step outside ourselves and look at what we we are feeling. This is usually a helpful thing to do when our emotions get so strong that they well up into a massive wave!

Tidal waves often appear in our dreams when are under a lot of pressure or when significant change is occurring. They may be a an indication that we feel a little overwhelmed, that maybe we fear we won’t be able to cope or adjust with what we see in our own future. They may occur as recurring dreams, with the wave getting bigger or closer over subsequent nights. This may correspond to our increasing anxiety, or the looming date we fear getting closer. It is worth recognizing that when we have these dreams there is often an area of our life that we are not looking at clearly, or that we are avoiding. Tidal wave dreams remind us that if we don’t confront and deal with things that are out of balance in our life, then they will confront us first! There are few clearer signs of confrontation than standing right before a towering body of surging water!

The things that we aren’t confronting may be as easy to identify as a test we are afraid of failing, a deadline we feel we won’t be able to meet, or a location or job move we don’t feel ready for. Tidal wave dreams may come because we are procrastinating, or simply don’t feel prepared. Or as water relates to our emotions, tidal wave dreams can come at the beginning of new relationships. We may even feel overwhelmed at how much we feel for someone! But tidal wave dreams, like most dreams, often work on many levels. Whether external pressures are dominant in our life or not, tidal wave dreams will often indicate a period of internal change. Remember that the sea is often a symbol for our own subconscious, so a giant wave in the sea can be like our subconscious rising up, making sure its power is felt through-out our waking and conscious life.
The sea can be a symbol for our own subconscious mind

The sea can be a symbol for our own subconscious mind

This need not be such a scary or intimidating thing. By working with our dreams, we can come to feel comfortable in the realm of the subconscious. Those big, powerful, unknown forces that exist inside us and drive us and sometimes feel like they are going to overwhelm us, become far less terrifying when we are familiar with them. When we realise they simply a part of us and can be managed, tidal wave dreams no longer seem so urgent. To deal with tidal waves in dreams we can apply the same technique that we use when fleeing anything that scares us, and that is to confront it. You may think, how on earth do I confront a a tidal wave? It is so big, it can’t be killed or negotiated with, so how can it be beaten? But just as all things in our dreams are part of us, so too are tidal waves. And if tidal waves are a symbol for our subconscious, this is not something i would suggest we should want to beat into submission or seek to tame. The approach then is to merge with it. Tidal wave dreams invite us to dive into our subconscious, the learn to swim or surf and enjoy the experience of being at one with our-self, of exploring our emotions. If we are lucky, we may even learn to breathe under water. Some people are able to use diving into tidal waves as a trigger for lucid dreaming. Like flying then, swimming underwater or surfing a tidal wave can become one of the most exhilarating dream experiences, rather than one of anxiety or fear. Just one of the may rewards of working on our dreams and coming to know our own subconscious mind better!

This is probably the best interpretation. I seriously think the tidal wave dreams, especially of late (and have been more frequent) are centered around the date of TTC for Baby 3. I guess on a day to day basis when I'm awake I try to repress my thoughts because they are telling me different things but you can't suppress the subconscious...

I guess for the next few weeks I'll be working on this, consciously. David and I need to have in depth talks about this. This isn't just another baby - it's going to require the same amount of time and attention as our first two did - only this time we already have 2 to split our time with. We'll also be outnumbered so this is not something to enter into lightly.

I didn't realize until I found this dream interpretation that I was subconsciously really this scared about it!

If you read this far, thanks!

Wow, isn't it amazing what we're thinking without even being aware of it? I don't have reccuring nightmares, but when I have bad dreams I usually own a big company or business and I'm either really stressed/doing something I shouldn't be and I'm worried about getting in to trouble lol, I wonder what that means?
OH and I were watching Eastenders last night and the Lucas/Trina storyline makes me feel sick, almost to the point where I can't watch it, because it feels as if I've been in Lucas' position before, in a dream or something. I also feel as if I've been in Trina's position. This is sounding SO wierd, and you probably all think I'm a nutjob lol :p I can't even explain it, I've never felt so sick at a TV show or film before, not even when reading a real life story somewhere. Then at the end, before I'd even mentioned my own feelings, OH said he felt really intense watching it because it feels as if he's been in Lucas' position before! So we're both murderers I suppose!! xx

i love hearing the interpretatins of dreams - there not often as bad as we fear (altho the feelins you feel whilst your having them are sometimes unbearable)

I had a dream about 12 months ago now and in it my OH passed away - i was sobbing and sobbing and my OH woke me up because i was crying in real life and i woke him up. I couldnt go back to sleep as the thought of dreaming it again made me cry. I cried on and off all day and i wouldnt leave OH's side. I looked it up on the net an it said that i feel disconnected from a part of his life - which was true at the time.....weird.

I hope your dreams ease off and you and your oh can talk about it and possibly solve the dream issue.

:hugs:

xx

I have had a similar tidal wave dream before... a couple of times actually... it was at a friend's house which is a way back from the sea up a hill so it has a sea view (if that makes sense).. Anyway... each time the tidal wave has come in and wrecked the house and we are all in it and clinging on to bits of wreckage and wardrobes etc.. always wake up before the end.

Anyways my OH and I went to view a house just down the road from there as we were thinking of buying.. when I looked out the bedroom window and saw the sea, the dream came back to me so vividly that it put me off the whole house.. my OH had to convince me all the way home that it is highly unlikely that there will ever be a tidal wave in Essex!

I had never looked up its meaning but that does make sense.. thank you for sharing it.

I hope you can overcome the fear of the third child. They are all valid worries but, I think, when the time comes you will take it all in your stride and wonder what all the fear was about.

xx

Yeah, now that I know what is causing these dreams I think I can work my way through them. I think it's really cool how our dreams give us insight into our lives that when we're awake we don't even realize that those feelings are there - or aren't as attuned to them.

I've always been so fascinated by dreams.

Aren't dreams fascinating! I am too scared to analyze mine, they are so freaky!! Ha, seriously my hubby thinks I am a nutter when I tell him about my dreams, but it's amazing the way the mind processes everything isn't it! x

I often have tidal wave dreams. Also tornadoes sometimes. I also have very literal and metaphorical dreams too. Though recently I'm too tired to notice my dreams as teething is keeping the whole house awake all night at the moment!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->