Report on News

lynnikins

Reaction score
Did anyone catch the full report on the news at lunchtime i think ITV it outlined that Homebirth for low risk mothers is just as safe as a doctor led birthing unit ( labour ward )

ETA: for second or more time mums, ive heard the full report now apparently the risks are slightly raised for first time mums but not by a percentage that would make me feel more comfortable in the hospital considering the greater risk of interventions

Hey, I was just about to post the same thread as you.
I read it here https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-15861280

It also says that it is more dangerous for first time mums to have homebirths..
This has saddened me a bit as I am planning a homebirth - really don't want all my family seeing that on the news then worrying themselves.
What do you think about having your first baby at home?

P.s. I used to live near Chessington in Tolworth, went to Tolworth girls school if you know it!
X

lol yeah i know tolworth girls, when i was a driving instructor i used to have pickups at TGS,

I would totally go back and have my first at home, i wanted to but DH convinced me to use the MW led unit for a waterbirth , my sister had her first at home. i ended up in the MLU again with ds2 though only caus that was the only free room ready when i needed one lol i was induced so ment to be on labour ward but they were busy, i planned MLU though with number 2 due to the interventions that happened with ds1 and being unsure of myself after that birth not going how i wanted, but after a good experience with ds2 im all set for this one to arrive at home

Ahh I see! We don't have a proper MLU near where I live here so it was either a home from home room at the hospital (only 3 birthpools there) or at home.
I hope I've made the right choice now, those stats saying a first-time homebirth is 2 X more likely to go wrong scares me a bit.

the Kingston MLU is the same place as labour ward on the same floor just down one end of it lol seperated from the rest of it by a set of doors lol and it only has 2 pools but when i had ds1 then waterbirth wasnt quite so popular as it is now.

its not more likely to go wrong i dont think its more likely to go different to how the mother imagines it and she might not have mentally prepared herself for the pain or the possible lenght of the labour ( my first was days of slow labour then a whole day and bit of the night in hospital before he was born ) so might get tired quicker or not cope with the pain so well and give in and transfer to the hospital for help.

If my lo hadn't been premature I would have birthed at home. As it was, I was left in a room for 2 hours before I was checked even once, and when they finally came in they said they wanted to see if I was 'actually in labour' andit turned out I was 7cm dilated. They then had me walk down a long corridor to a delivery room,then left me again and came back in while I was pushing her head out. Basically they didn't help in the slightest!

My mum has been a midwife for 30 years and said that if god forbid anything were to go wrong, midvies are well trained and even in hospital you have to wait for theatre to be prepped and a surgeon and anaethetist found, which basically is the time it would take an ambulance to get you to hospital anyway - if you get me. So essentially there is no downside to a homebirth - plus you can change your mind an hour into your labour if you want to & just go to hospital.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->