Residential trip worries-HELP PLZ!

kerrie24

me,him and 3 lo's
Reaction score
My son is currently in his last year of primary school (year 6-he is 10 years old)
The school has a trip planned for june next year to an outdoor activity centre where they will be doing climbing,canoeing,team building etc,as well as a 2 night overnight stay.

The school have been really pushing the kids to go,showing videos and bigging it up.Nathan is begging me to let him go.

I have to pay the deposit by next friday and I'm still trying to bring myself to feel ok about it.:cry:

The thing is,he's never stayed out except at his grandparents house and Im 95% sure he will be terribly homesick once he gets there.It has to be paid by may (£110,which I dont mind paying) but if he was to freak out at the last minute and I cancel,I wont get my money back,and they advise me to send him anyway!I wouldnt put him crying onto the bus ''cos he's sure to love it when he gets there''

Another thing (sorry its long)-the kids are in a dormitory on their own at night,the 3 teachers that go have their own hotel rooms in a seperate area.Its lights out at 9.30 and wake up at 7am but inbetween those times,they are effectively unsupervised.
They say its secure and there is an alarm on the door so if anyone goes in or out,someone will be sent over to check.

What if someone gets up and slips on the toilet floor,is unconcious?
What happens if they decide to have a fight/put a pillow over someones face/play strangling game?(I know it sounds ridiculous but the strangle each other at breaktime,they are 10 year old boys)

There is no phone contact,no mobile signal,I would drop him at school wednesday at 9am and collect him friday at 5.30pm.

Im VERY worried but I dont want him to feel Im stopping him having the experience with his friends.
There are around half of his year group going,25-30 kids.

What would you do?

How badly does he want to go? The school wouldn't arrange it unless they felt the children were ready and mature enough to experience it.

I'm sure it will be the first time for a lot of the children that they've been away from their family on their own and the teachers will have experienced it before with other children.

June is still quite a way off and it would be a pity for him to miss out, especially if all his friends are going.

we went on a trip like this when I was in year 6 at school, It was my first time away from home and I loved it. I was so busy with everything else I didn't even notice my parents weren't there.

I can understand your worries but the school wouldn't arrange it if they didn't think it was 100% safe.

Hmm. I would send her.

I can see where you think he would become homesick but I think the fact his friends are there and he's getting to be a "grown up kid" (sleeping without adults there, ect) I think he would probably think it was cool and enjoy it.

How far is the hotel? I'm sure there will be adults there past the time kids go to bed to make sure they go to sleep. I totally get why you're worried, I would be worried, too. I would just hate for your LO to feel left out, you know?

The teachers rooms are on the other side of the building,they couldnt hear if anything went on.There is a member of staff awake all night incase the door alarm goes but apart from that,how would they know if there was anything going on?

I'm sure they peek in on them every so often, I would ask the school!

In my daughters school in

year 3 (age 7-8) they go on one over night camping trip

year 4 (age 8-9) they go on a two night camping trip

year 5 (age 9-10) they go to isle of wight for three nights

year 6 (10-11) they go to france for four nights

she is in year 3 and just recieved the forms for camping trip for next june - she doesnt want to go but i think she should.......... although i am not forcing her - i think it will be a great experience and i trust the teachers to look after all the children, yes i would be a little anxious but i couldnt hold her back if she wanted to go - the isle of wight and france trips i think would be harder for me but again if she wanted to go i would let her. x

I can understand how you feel hunni. I think I'd feel the same about PJ going away when he hadn't before.

If your son really wants to go, I say let him go. My Mom never allowed me to go to sleep overs and I missed out on alot of great things, friendships, etc.

I am sure it is a very well chaperoned event and call and ask the school and address to them your concerns. :hugs:

My eldest daughter has got her residential trip this school year too (she's year 6) and she's really excited! Tbh, I can't wait for her to have a week away with all her friends. My other 2 daughters have just had their brownie camp weekend which they also thoroughly enjoyed, and my 8 year old (year 4) has got a 3 day residential trip this school year too, which she's really looking forward too

I also went to the Isle of Wight when I was year 6, and I remember thinking it would be brilliant at lights out time..... All us girls thought we'd sneak to the boys dorm (to throw water over them btw!), but we were met in the corridor by the "night watch" teacher!!!

If your son really wants to go, I'd let him. It will be very secure, and a risk assessment is always done before these trips, which you can view from the school. You should also raise any questions/concerns with the school so that you will feel more at ease

xx

Thanks everyone,I think I will go into school on monday and speak to them about my concerns.The actual activities aren't worrying me its just the night time.Some of the boys going are quite naughty and start fights often in the playground.

I'm sure they'll be so worn out from the daytime activities I doubt they'll have the energy to fight!

Good idea to go talk to the school though. I hope they can reassure you.

Thanks Mf,I was stating to think I was way overprotective lol

No, I am the same. Already panicking about my sons residential next year! He is off on a trip next week that is 8am-6pm thats bad enough!

I do think you have reason too though, it does not sound right to me how the staff are so far away? I would enquire more about that x

my eldest has been away 3 times the last was to an outdoor centre similar to what you described in january it was freezing. When she goes away i dont sleep eat and am a total wreck, I always imagine the worst and I am not on my own the other mums in the playground feel exactly the same, BUT she has a fabulous time its a learning curve for them, and helps them grow and gives them life experience. She goes to london again with the school in june so it will be another week of sleepless nights for me and a week of fun for her

Thanks Wilbz.

Well I paid the deposit today and the money doesnt have to be in till feb so I will go to the next meeting and raise my concerns with the group leader.

Make sure you tell them your concerns no matter how small as you will only worry x

Thanks Wilbz.

Well I paid the deposit today and the money doesnt have to be in till feb so I will go to the next meeting and raise my concerns with the group leader.

before my girls school went they had like a parents evening where we were all invited got a list of things to take fill in forms and ask any final questions we had

Hello, I don't often pop in this area yet as my DS is still young but as a teacher this thread caught my eye.
I've been on many residentials and have just started in y6 last year. The staff who go on the y6 trip go every year and to my knowledge have never had any problems with homesickness. There might be the odd occasion of a little tearfulness, but nothing that a quick phone call home couldn't sort out.
In terms of night time, the first night they are always so excited they stay up late chatting so the teachers are inevitably popping in and out to susshh them! But by night 2/3 they are so utterly exhausted after all their activities they all want to go to sleep!

They honestly have a wonderful time, at my school the y6 children always cover the class trip in the leavers play. The photos and videos they show are so lovely, all smiling and happy together :)

Have a chat with the trip leader, I'm sure all parents have the same concerns, I'm sure I will when it comes to my DS's turn! X

It sounds just like dolphin house, my eldest two have went and LOVED it!!
Well worth the money and yes they aint allowed mobiles etc but they are fully trained staff on hand at all time and it teaches the kids some responsibility as they have to tidy there rooms etc.
i think parents worry more than the kids tbh :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->