Retained placenta

Tink1o5

Mom of 3
Reaction score
Ok so I started having 50 cent piece size clots last night and my bleeding picked up. So I went to the er. They did an ultrasound and told me I have retained placenta. They contacted my ob who told them to put me on cytotec which I am not comfortable taking....so I'm not. But my ob office can't even get me in to their office for an ultrasound until Thursday.

I could really use some advice. I have no idea what to think right now and am scared.

I had a pph with my 2nd child 8 hours after birth. That was controlled with meds.

Why are you not comfortable taking the meds? A retained placenta can cause heavy bleeding and also infection. Which would only make matters worse.

Because I always look into meds and this particular medication is made for stomach ulcers. It has not been approved for anything else....yet obs continue to use it for inducing labor along with other things. It can cause a bunch of nasty side effects including uterine rupture

I just spoke with my obs assistanot who agreed I should not take it until we see what is happening on thursday

Understandable...Hopefully things settle down for you.

UPDATE:

Just wanted to update. I had a check up with my OB and they did another ultrasound and said that everything looked good. :)
No tissue or placenta seen. They did say my endometrium looked irregular but that was normal for just having a baby 3 weeks ago.

I also had her check the position of my uterus and she said it was right were it should be and was actually really toned for being only 3 weeks pp.

I'm glad you posted this because I had this. I bled very heavy and had really painful cramping after my 2nd. The nurses told me you tend to be more crampy with each baby and I dint want to seem like a wimp, so I've just been dealing with it. Yesterday I felt something down there and every time I went to the bathroom I would try to spray it off with the peri bottle but whatever it was wasnt coming off and to be honest I was too scared to look down there with a mirror, I assumed it was either very swollen vagina opening or maybe my stitches starting to dissolve. This morning when I was taking a shower, however, I could feel it hanging out more and I reached down and touched it and it was smooth, not soft and lumpy like a clot. I looked down there with a mirror and it was like a purplish sac, I was horrified! I gently tugged and it came out. It was like a baseball sized clot half encased in a purplish sac with more membrane type sac tissue trailing off of it. I put it in a ziplock bag and brought it to the hospital (I had a 2-day return visit anyway) and they said it was retained placenta. They said my body was doing what it was supposed to do by expelling it, but I was told to watch out for sudden intense cramping, bleeding and fever. Ever since it came out my bleeding is so much lighter and my cramps are gone, it's such a relief! That was seriously the freakiest thing thats ever happened to me though, (I'm not a fan of blood).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->