• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Reusable breast pads and baby wipes

dom85

Mum of 2, 3rd on the way
Reaction score
With this baby I want to try cloth nappies, SIL gave us some Gnappies so we have a start on it and I'm planning on seeing how I like them before I buy anything else.

I have bought some reusable breast pads because it just made sense with cloth nappies and I don't like the disposable ones. Do I need to wash them several times like the nappies to prep them or is one wash good enough for them?

I would also like to try cloth wipes when we're at home, I am useless at sewing so I'm not sure about making them myself so is there a good brand anyone would recommend? I have bought about 12 of the cheap wash cloths at Asda thinking that I could use these, does anyone else do this and are they good enough? Do you keep them in a tub in a solution, I have heard of people using wipe warmers to keep them in but do I need to do this?

For the breast pads it depends on what material they are made of. If they have hemp in them then you'll want to wash them multiple times to get the absorbancy up. If they are some other fabric, once should be enough.

We use these wipes (Imse Vimse):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ImseVimse-Washable-wipes-organic-green-blue/dp/B001IA2XGK

I just store them in the nappy bag dry and bring a bottle of water with me to wet them before I use them on DD.

Thank you, I got bamboo breast pads so hopefully once should be enough. I didn't actually produce any milk at all last time so they're a bit of a hopeful buy.

Does your baby mind about the temperature of the water?

I made my own wipes out of an old flannel sheet. I ended up with about 80 of them for no cost to us at all - so super cheap lol. I did sew the edges to keep them from fraying, but I don't think that would be necessary depending on the fabric you chose. They've worked fabulously! I have read about other mama's using washcloths effectively. There's no right or wrong on this topic, if you want to give them a shot why not! If they don't work as well for you then change it up

Like HopefulEm I don't keep them in solution, and don't use any solution at all either. I have a peri bottle I keep filled with plain water that I squirt a few with as I need them. Minimal work, no rancid water and no mold/mildew laden soaking wipes has been the benefit. I've not had even a hint of diaper rash to date with either of my twins going this route!

I made my own breast pads (also quick and easy, just snip circles out of fabric and one layer of PUL inside and a quick easy sew around). I didn't prep them and they've worked well from day one. I think the flow of let down is much slower than the flood of a good wee, so you don't necessarily need the fabric to suck up the moisture as efficiently right off the bat. I have a very intense let down and I've yet to leak through anyway.

Good for you for giving cloth a go! :thumbup:

Thank you, I got bamboo breast pads so hopefully once should be enough. I didn't actually produce any milk at all last time so they're a bit of a hopeful buy.

Does your baby mind about the temperature of the water?

She's been alright with it at the various temperatures even when it's chilly. If it's possible I take it out of the tap where it's warmer, but not a necessity.

I have always used washcloths and just run a couple under warm water before use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->