rh factor for all negative blood types?

Pretty Pistol

Reaction score
I understand the general concept of rh negative... But what I don't understand is if your partner is a negative blood type..does that mean he is also rh negative... For example I am rh negative and my husband is type o negative but we don't know if he has this rh factor..I'm confused do all negative blood types carry the rh factor?

yep he would be rh negative as well. And also (I'm not positive on this) but I think if you are both negative than you don't have to have the rhogam injections

Not both you and partner, but if you and baby are both RH negative than you don't have the injection after birth. They find out the baby's blood group after delivery by the cord. The partner's blood group is irrelevant, even though he may be RH +ve in pregnancy it isn't questioned :)

I am just highlighting that because they don't ask what the father's blood group is, you therefore don't know whether the Injections could be avoided due to RH inheritance factors. They just give it during pregnancy and give it again after if the baby is RH +ve. Also, I am answering this based on what happens in the UK. Not sure where you are. :)

I thought the dad's blood group was what caused the potential problem. If he is pos and you are neg, there is a possibility the baby will also be pos. If baby's blood mixes with yours during birth, your body will produce anti bodies and then it can cause problems in a 2nd baby.

Or that's how I understood it??

x

i am r neg and issy's dad was also r neg and 12 yrs ago after giving birth to issy i still had the anti d injection after birth in my bum !!!! as if i hadn't been thru enough ...
split with issy's dad and 12 yrs later i find myself 32 weeks preggers and the babies father is o positive ... obviously they can not tell at this stage which blood type the baby will be so i have had to have the anti d at 29weeks and again after birth ... the one at 29 wks is to protect this baby ... the one after is to protect future babies ... ( no more for me)....
hope this helps yourmidwife and your booking in book should explain all this ... do not stress it's fine ... xx

I thought the dad's blood group was what caused the potential problem. If he is pos and you are neg, there is a possibility the baby will also be pos. If baby's blood mixes with yours during birth, your body will produce anti bodies and then it can cause problems in a 2nd baby.

x

that's how I understood it to but as my hubby is positive it didn't really affect us, I had to have the shot.

x

Yes, but that isn't looked at or the issue in pregnancy because of the way RH can be inherited, which is why we (for the UK) never ask what the father of the baby's blood group or RH status is, it doesn't matter. All that matter's regardless of whether the RH status was inherited from Dad or whoever, it is only what mum's RH status that matters. If she is Negative she will receive ANTI D during pregnancy, then after pregnancy when they know what the baby's blood group is, they will decide from that whether mum needs anti d to protect future pregnancies. Therefore father's blood groups are irrelevant in pregnancy.

My hubby and I are both A-, so I don't need the shot...so, you don't either!

In the UK if we relied on both parents blood groups and RH status as an indicator to not give Anti D then there would be those woman who will miss out on the Anti D. Especially with woman who claim that their partner is the biological father, or sperm doners etc. So we just rely on what is in front of us :)

In the UK if we relied on both parents blood groups and RH status as an indicator to not give Anti D then there would be those woman who will miss out on the Anti D. Especially with woman who claim that their partner is the biological father, or sperm doners etc. So we just rely on what is in front of us :)

They type the children at birth anyway..So, if the babe was +, then she could get the shot..The only thing that would not cover is if somehow the blood mixed while she was still too early to deliver. Also, most of the time, I think the docs know..My midwife would not dare question me and my hubby..She knows full well that he is the father..So, I guess they could take it case by case.

x

That is spot on hun. I am Rh Neg and my Hubby is Pos, my 2 eldest children are both neg and then I had a MC so had to have the shot and then my 3rd son was Pos so had to have the shot again.

If both parents are neg all is fine no worries but if dad is Pos then there is the chance bub can be pos also.
They can give you a shot at 28wks and again at 32wks and then once bub is born.

They type the children at birth anyway..So, if the babe was +, then she could get the shot..The only thing that would not cover is if somehow the blood mixed while she was still too early to deliver. Also, most of the time, I think the docs know..My midwife would not dare question me and my hubby..She knows full well that he is the father..So, I guess they could take it case by case.

I am on about during pregnancy before the child is born and blood typed. This may only apply to those in the UK. If the mother is RH -ve we automatically give Anti D during pregnancy without questioning the father's blood type. The fact that we give Anti D during pregnancy to all RH-ve women would cover for these potential mixing of blood during bleeds antenatally.

As a midwife, no we wouldn't question who is the father or not, that isn't our role to question relationships, but we cover these possibilities just by giving all RH-ve women Anti D during pregnancy and wait for baby's blood group after delivery to see whether she needs it again. :) In my experience you never can tell who has been unfaithful or not, it isn't our job to figure out these potentials. I certainly have had a few with confused looks on their faces when the baby's blood work comes back and the father's recent experience in ER/A+E made hime aware of his blood type being incompatible with his potential newborn. Hence, the above. :)

In addition, I know for a fact having previous role in infertility specialty that there will be parents presenting pregnant following infertility treatment who will not reveal sperm donation was used, we simply won't know who these are and they don't have to reveal this either. In their eyes the husband is the father. :)

split with issy's dad and 12 yrs later i find myself 32 weeks preggers

LOL, hun it sounds like you just went "OMG I'm 32 weeks pg and never noticed"!!! xx

It is all very confusing. I've been told I'll def need it as I'm A rh neg. No clue what dh is!!

xx

i was told that i could have a test done on OH but they would still give me the Anti - D. As LouLou said they go on the risk to the mother. If by chance the baby was possitive and both parents were Rh- (which wouldnt happen) and the mum refused the jab on the basis that her and OH have negative blood then it could cause problems later on for mum... say having more children.

Sorry if that doesnt make sence lol x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->