Rhinitis of Pregnancy - Anyone?

Emmyjean

Mom to 2 Wee Lads
Reaction score
I knew this was a first-trimester symptom but didn't have it last time. I have been suffering from a horribly stuffy/runny nose for close to two weeks now - worse in the morning but lasts all day - and can't decide if that's what this is or if I just have something else.

It's lasted too long to be a common cold and I've never had allergies like this before - although I know allergies can crop up any time. I worry if it is related to hormones I'll have it the whole loooong seven months I have left. :wacko:

Has anyone experienced this symptom? Was there anything you did that helped ease the discomfort a bit? I will ask the doc when I go tomorrow, but thought I'd put it out there.

My mom had it horrible with all 4 of us. I did not have it with DS, but do have more boogers than normal this time.

Is there discharge, or is it just that you feel like you're congested and can't breathe right even though there's nothing in there?

If it's the second, you're in for a long 7 months. I get it every time. It's due to increased blood volume and since there's nothing in there to be got out....The saline rinse (like a netti pot) can help, and there are sprays like Afrin but those can make congestion worse in the long run. Definitely ask your doctor for more suggestions on how to treat it.

If there's discharge, chances are that it's the same treatments, but I've never had to deal with that one. Thank goodness!

Chelle

I've had this symptom since before my BFP and some days its better than others. I agree morning is bad and night time is a little rough for me too.
I haven't found anything to help relieve it yet. :(

Me toooooo! At first I assumed it was allergies, but I've NEVER had allergies this bad before. Plus, I've been taking Benadryl and it hasn't been working. It's driving me crazy! I'm constantly blowing my nose!

One of my pregnant friends got some sort of steam mask for her congestion. I haven't gotten one yet, but I'm thinking about it. She said it worked really well for her.

Asked my mom, who, FWIW is my personal authority on pregnancy and having babies (really, I just adore and love my mama):

She said a humidifier with vicks in it at night helps tremendously. Hot, steamy showers...vicks again there. Saline rinses (netti pot or just snort saline water then blow as hard as you comfortably can). Lay on your side, then rotate when it fills up....laying on your back makes both fill up.

Also try a steam bowl: boiling water in a glass bowl with some vicks. Put your face over it and cover your head with a towel. Inhale as long as you can stand it.

If you feel swollen in the face, you can try a cool or hot compress to alleviate the pressure.

Hope these help.

I have it and have been dealing with it since about week 9. It's so annoying. And it's also a reason why I get sick most mornings. I had MS really bad at first but it let up at week 14, but still may get sick most mornings thanks to drainage down back of throat.

I can't really do anything for it other than nasal spray, and I use breath rite strips at night to help with my snoring. I snored before but it's gotten worse since I became pregnant according to my OH.

And when pollen is high in the air, i feel like crap because my allergies act up on top of it.

Also most mornings when I blow my nose it's bloody, which according to the books is normal. I don't like it. Never had it with DS at all. But I'm dealing with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->