rhogam shot even if my baby is rh- also?!

myangel167

Reaction score
my doctor told me that when I hit 28 weeks I will need to get a rhogam shot.

I plan on having my husband get a blood test because if he is rh- also, then I wont have to get the shot. when I told my doctor that, she said they usually don't trust the husbands blood test even if its rh- because they've had too many women come in with a man that they "claim" is the father of their baby and he isn't. So they'd rather be safe than sorry and give me the shot anyway.

Im guessing that's just their procedure, and I get it, but I couldn't help but be a little offended. While I've seen plenty of episodes of Maury and I get that some women make mistakes and don't know who their baby's father is...I'm happily married and DO KNOW who my baby's father is. and I felt like my doctor almost didn't want to risk believing me. I'm not going to take it personally though. but still, its sorta annoying.

Hi,
I am Rh negative and definitely know who the father of the baby is too, but just went ahead and got the shot with my first and will again with my second. It's not a big deal and then everyone is happy.

It is procedure to just give it to everyone (you would be surprised how often the mom swears she knows who the father is but she doesn't), so not testing dads and just giving it to all the Moms is definitely the safest way to go when it comes to overall procedures. Don't be offended, they just want to make sure everyone is healthy.

If you have a particular reason for not wanting the shot and obviously trust yourself ;) then it's fine to have your husband tested and not get the shot if he's rh negative as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->