Rhythm Method

Dinah93

Happy mum to two preemies
Reaction score
Has anyone tried it? I'm on the mini pill right now but as with all hormone based contraception it makes me quite depressed, so we're considering stopping it and just using rhythm. Can't use anything with estrogen in it as I have high blood pressure, can't use condoms as I'm fairly allergic and DH can't finish with one on anyway. I like the idea of rhythm, was planning to use OPKs to track when I should ovulate and then avoid the next 4 days or so? I used OPKs when trying for our DD and know I ovulate around 3648 hours after getting a strong line. If we were to fall pregnant it wouldn't be the end of the world, but ideally we're not planning to start trying again for another year or so. Just keen to hear anyone else's experiences.

It might be worth tracking things like your CM too, it will be far more reliable. Also you need to avoid for 5 days minimum before ovulation, ideally 7 days though, so I wouldn't rely on it until you have the hang of everything including when you tend to ovulate and what your individual signs are. Saying that, OH and I have been using full blown FAM for nearly a year with no issues. I've been very lazy with it the last few months due to surgery, but I know my body well enough now to get by on the bare minimum. Fertility Friend has some great info as does the book "Taking Charge Of Your Fertility" so I would recommend reading up first.

Thanks for replying. I read than when TTC - it was how easy I found pinpointing ovulation during TTC that made me consider rhythm. The two midwives who saw me at the hospital after giving birth told me I'd have to be very unlucky to fall pregnant if I didn't DTD in the 24 hours prior to ovulation, they say 48 hours to be sure, but 90% of swimmers are dead within 12 hours (I'm aware it only takes that one hardy soul who lives for 3 days to make it happen!). CM was never a reliable indicator for me as I can often get EWCM after ovulation, and only about half the time before OV. Can you tell me what FAM stands for please?

Fertility Awareness Method :)
Personally we avoid/use condoms from CD8 through until my thermal shift just to be sure, we have once or twice managed with just a four day gap between but that was usually early ovulation and we were fine, but I know for some people they would get pregnant, it really depends on your body. However, if like you said, another baby wouldn't be the end of the world, being a little more relaxed shouldn't be too much of a problem :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->