Rice cakes

Mrs Doddy

1 pink 1 blue
Reaction score
Generally I avoid "baby" foods but do by rice cakes and he seems to like them but do they have any nutritional value or is it just baby junk ? Whata a better alternative ?

Not sure about the actual nutritional value but I tend to give them to avoid a meltdown while waiting for food/waiting for it to cool down enough!
I've also used them for spreading a bit of what we're eating onto as a little taste-usually if it's a bit spicier or stronger tasting than what he's had before. He does love them.

I found rice cakes were useful snacks that were easily on hand, no prep and taught him to get used to finger foods without as much mess, I wasn't too concerned about nutritional content because that was more for meal times, though I guess plain ones would be better than baby ones which I assume have sugar, the nursery give plain rice cakes.

We put peanut butter or mushed banana on unless rushed in which case she loves them plain

They tend to be my "Your still hungry?!? But you've eaten everything else, so here have some rice cakes to fill you up" go to snack. Like others have said they are good to spread stuff on and I'm sure I read that psychologists have found that crunchy food makes us happier than non crunchy food - humans just love that crunch apparently! They are nutritionally the same as a mouthful of rice surely (so a carb, but a complex one) and the sweetened ones are usually sweetened with fruit juice.

They're just made of rice, so they're as healthy as rice would be. Not incredibly nutritionally dense, but certainly a more natural food than some other baby snacks. As someone else said, they're great for spreading things on and for dipping. My daughter loves to dip them in hummus or soup or some other dip. They're also great as a snack on the go when you need something not too messy and easily transportable. Adults eat rice cakes, so as long as you have a balance of other foods too, I think they're a nice alternative to some other snacks. If you get the baby ones as well, they have no added salt, which is hard to avoid in other things like bread sticks or oatcakes, which tend to be made for adults so have added salt.

I just used to use the baby organix ones as something for them to nibble/suck on whilst waiting for food when out and about etc. It was just an easy snack to carry about

Rice Cake is ok. 100g rice cake caontains 387 calories, 82 g carbs. 8g protein, vitamin be and magnesium. Other option is oats cakes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->