Right, how many apricots are we talking?

MacBabby

Reaction score
I've started eating partially rehydrated apricots (because they're easier to eat than the really dry ones!) but I have no idea how many I need to be eating a day to make an impact on my iron levels.

I take a supplement too but I'm trying to avoid iron deficiency like with my last pregnancy as taking ferrous fumarate gives me constipation and I'm struggling enough as it is already with just good old pregno constipation.

I'm chomping my way through about 20 a day but what's the point if it turns out you need to be eating 5 kilograms to make a difference 😂 I believe it takes a good 6 weeks for blood to regenerate so it's a long term thing to make a difference.
Anyone got any clue? 😊

I don't know about the apricots but have you tried iron water as a top up? My midwife noticed my levels were falling but not worryingly low and suggested the water to try boost me up and avoid full on supplements. It's highly absorbable iron, doesn't cause constipation and is around 35-40% of your RDA per sachet (you can take 2 per day). Tastes awful on its own but mix it fruit juice and you can't much taste it! I do feel much better for taking it!

Hopefully someone knows a bit more about apricots for you..!

It actually takes a couple days to start feeling better. Red Blood cells have a life cycle of roughly 120ish days, and take maybe a weekish (according to the internet) to go from cell division to functional maturity. This process is modulated by hypoxia rather than your iron levels, but as your iron levels rise you'll build better cells.

Iron from food comes in two different types: heme iron and non-heme iron. Heme iron comes from meat and absorption levels largely stay constant. Non-heme iron is present in vegetables. It is also the form used in supplementation. Non-heme iron absorption can be strongly affected by what you eat in the same couple hours. Vitamin C is the most well-known nutrient to increase absorption, while calcium is known to decrease it. I believe heme iron will also help increase absorption of non-heme iron to a limited degree.

If you are looking to avoid using pill supplements... When I had low iron stores a year and a half ago, I got them to rise by eating dry mini wheats and a small glass of some vitamin C containing fruit juice. At least here in Canada, mini-wheats have a fairly substantial amount of added iron. And probably less calories than 20 apricots. ;)

Thanks both of you, that's really useful information. 👍

I have nothing worthwhile to add other than to say I'm impressed you can eat 20 apricots a day without living on the loo!! lol!

Didn't realise they were a good source of iron. Hope they help you - I get hideous constipation from apricots so hope they don't affect you in same way...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->