Ring Sling or Mei Tai?

Sooz

Paige & Mason's Mum!
Reaction score
Hi ladies :wave:

Just after a few opinions on your personal experience/preference of the above two methods of baby wearing. Is either better for a newborn and up to what age can they both be comfortably used?

When LO comes DH will have the car all day and I just don't want to wrestle with the pram and a bus unless it is absolutely necessary, so would rather have some form of carrier for short trips out. I'm also not confident enough with the long fabric slings where you do your own wraps & ties, not to start with anyway, so thought one of these two would be a good starting point.

Thanks. :flower:

I LOVE mei tais (I have 3!) but I don't think I'd feel confident using one with a newborn, even though I know it's possible. If we have another baby, I plan to get a ring sling, or possibly a moby wrap (Although like you, I'm nervous about wrapping, I think with a stretchy wrap you can tie it once and put the baby in and out without retying.)

The best thing to do would be to try them in real life - a sling meet is great for that If you can't, maybe buy second hand as if it didn't work out, you could resell and get your money back.

I prefer mei tais- again, it's just a personal preference though. My dd did not like our ring sling at all when she was a newborn (she was always pushing off, trying to stand up in it- strong little thing) but was quite happy in either a mei tai or in the Moby. I like the ease of the ring sling though- she'll happily sit on my hip in it now, but I do find her a bit too heavy for it for more than a few minutes at a time. A mei tai will definitely be more comfortable in the long run, since you'll be able to use it for longer outings once your LO gets bigger without killing your back/neck :flower:

I didn't like our ring sling at all, but we didn't get it till LO was about 10 months old. I wouldn't use one for a newborn, I just don't think they seem very secure but that's just me! I used a mei tai with LO from 6 weeks and she's always been fine in it. I plan to use it from birth with the next baby as I'm confident with it. As suggested though, a sling meet is a great idea for trying stuff out.

I had a moby wrap when LO was new born then moved on to the Connecta or Ergo, i wouldn't use a sling

I love my mei tai and used it with Hayden until he was around 2yrs old. I will be keeping it for this baby but I am buying a wrap and a ring sling for newborn stages

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->