Roman Bryn - 10th June 2009 - 9.56am

hexyewdancer

Mummy to Roman
Reaction score
So i was admitted to hospital on my due date due to high blood pressure which was something i had been suffering from for weeks but at this point it had got really high and they we're concerned for mine and baby's health.

I stayed in to be monitored until friday when i managed to get my blood pressure under control but the doctors talked about inducing me and i wanted to try and go naturally so they allowed me to go home and come back monday for a check up.

I went to the ante-natal day unit on monday 8th June and yet again my blood pressure was high but higher than it had ever been. They admitted me again for fear that i would fit and me and baby would die. They said that at this point it would be putting huge strain on my organs. I was so frightened and so when they talked about induction i knew i had to have it and my natural progression into labour was way out of the window.

So on tuesday morning they did an internal and i was sadly still only 1cm which is what i had been since 37 weeks. The sweep id had done on my due date had done sod all. That meant that i couldnt just have my waters broken and so had to have the prostin tablet to try to get my cervix to open up to 2cm.

I was given the prostin at 12 midday and omg it took effect straight away and i was so uncomfortable and in agony. The midwife came to check and she hooked me up to a monitor. It turned out that my womb was sensitive and the prostin had over stimulated me and was causing contractions to be one on top of the other.

They rushed me straight to labour ward to try to get the contractions to calm down and there they did an internal where i was 2cm dilated but as my contractions where so strong and so frequent they didnt want to break my waters just yet so left me for a while.

I was put straight on the gas and air and given some diamorphine to calm everything down and within 4 hours my contractions where finally starting to have a pattern and my waters could be broken.

At this point i was only 3 cm but slowly dilating so i didnt need a drip to speed anything up.

The diamorphine started to wear off and i asked for some more but with the mixture of that and gas and air i was being violently sick. I decided then to stop with the gas and air and just scream through the pain which i found to be much better.

After yet another 4 hours i couldnt have anymore diapmorhine and so i had to go straight for the epidural. By this time i didnt care as the pain was so intense. I just couldnt bear it.

I completely fell in love with my anethetist (sp?), Ahmed. He took my pain completly away and i was just on cloud 9. I didnt even feel the needle going into my back which was what i was worrying about.

As my contraction pain had completely gone i decided to try to sleep and i was dozing on and off but was still being sick.

At 5am on wednesday morning the baby's heart rate was dropping and so they had to take a blood sample from the baby's head to check his oxygen levels. If that came back ok then i could be put onto the drip to speed things up as i was only 6cm dilated.

Oxygen levels came back clear and i was put on the drip and left for 4 hours. After 4 hours they checked me again but i had only progressed to 7cm and baby's heart rate was dropping. They decided to get a doctor in to assess everything and they decided to up the rate of the drip and check again in an hour but i never got to that hour as baby's heart rate was dropping even more and more blood samples couldnt detect enough oxygen so they had to prepare me for a c-section.

I was so frightened. I was shaking. They up'ed my epidural so i was completely numb and made me sign a form in case anything went wrong. By this point i dont know what i was frightened off. The fact that something might be wrong with my baby or that i was going in for a major operation.

They wheeled me off into theatre and my mum came with me. My husband was too upset. He was crying and thinking it was all his fault.

In theatre i couldnt feel a thing but a tiny touch sensation as i was cut open. I felt all the inside feelings and that was wierd. I felt them pull out my baby and at 9.56am i heard him cry and i cried with relief.

While i was being stitched up which i felt a little off, they brought Roman to me and he lay looking at me with such beautiful eyes. I was the happiest person alive and everything i had gone through was worth it.

The nurse asked me my bet on his weight of which i said 6lb 9oz but was completely wrong as he was so tiny at only 5lb 14oz.

They took him straight through to my husband while i got finished off. It felt like ages. I was dying to see them both. I was told that the cord had been wrapped round the baby's neck twice and then around his fist.

Finally i was wheeled into recovery and i got to hold my baby. The wave of love that i felt was like nothing ive ever experienced and was truly amazing.

Back on the ward i couldnt get out of bed and was frustrated by all the numbness i felt. I was frustrated that i couldnt get to my little one when he cried and that the midwives had to do everything for me.

On the thursday i was told i had to get out of bed and i was so glad. I stood for the first time and omg the pain was intense. My stitches hurt and stung like hell. I was sent for a shower which made me feel human again and then allowed to sit in the chair and feed my little man.

Later that day the doctor said Roman had jaundice and that he had to have light treatment up on the special care baby unit. It killed me them taking him away but thankfully they brought him back through the night.

On the friday i was told i could go home but Roman had to have a bit more treatment and would be allowed to come home on saturday. So i went home all on my own and that hurt like hell. I missed him so much and cried. I couldnt wait for saturday morning.

It finally came round and me and my hubby rushed to the hospital to get him.

He's been home since then and is absolutely amazing. He's such a good baby and i just cant do enough for him. Im running on adreneline and nesting like a nutter. Motherhood is the best thing in the world and i would do such an awful labour all over again just to have my little boy!!

Attachments

• Roman 2.jpg
    Roman 2.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 42
Congratulations he is beautiful x

congratulations hun, u had him on my wedding anniversary too

Lou
xxx

Congrats sweety xxxx

He is gorgeous xxx

a very sweet story! i loved the way you finished the story off, too!

Roman's such a gorgeous little boy! Congratulations. :)

Congratulations he's gorgeous - sorry you had such a hard time though xxx

Congrats - It was all worth it in the end... I like the bit where u gave up on gas and air and just screamed!

All the best for you, your partner and ur new little man :blue:

xx

Congrats hun!
He's definitely a little cutie! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79