Ronan's Birth Story Born 8/29/11 39 weeks -- kind of long and detailed

Lizzy78

Expecting #2!
Reaction score
I have really loved reading everyone's birth stories for the past few months, so figured I would add my own. Thanks to everyone who have answered my questions and been supportive throughout this pregnancy!

I live in New England and Hurricane Irene blew through here on August 28th. It wasn't considered a hurricane by the time it came this far north, only a tropical storm, but it was still super windy and pretty scary so my husband and I spent the day watching movies in our basement. I had been hoping beyond hope that the drop in barometric pressure that came with the storm would break my water, even though it was a week before my due date. Somewhere around week 35 I became really tired of being pregnant and couldn't wait for him to be born, although I didn't do anything to try to get him out early. So, the day came and went and nothing happened and I was disappointed and figured I would probably go two weeks late.

DH and I went to bed at 10 pm and just as I was about to fall asleep I felt as though I had been kicked really hard in the pelvic floor and it woke me from that in between awake and sleep and I wondered what that was, as I knew baby was head down. I waited to see if it would happen again and then about 30 seconds to a minute later I felt a trickle go down my leg and knew what had happened. I jumped out of bed and ran to the bathroom, where there was a definite gush of flamingo pink liquid coming out of me. I immediately had to go have a bowel movement. I had not had any clear out or plug loss or anything before my water broke. I went to the bathroom a couple of times within ten or fifteen minutes of it breaking. I had my first contraction five minutes after my water broke, which was decently strong. I called the doctor and they said to rest and come in by 6 am or earlier if the contractions were close together and strong.

By 1 am the contractions were five minutes apart and I wasn't sure if I should go in, but since this is my first baby I decided I would rather be safe than sorry. DH loaded up the car and off we went to the hospital, where they confirmed my water had broken and said I was only 2-3 cm, but they would keep me. By about 430 am my contractions really hurt but I was still only 3-4 cm and they said I needed to sleep because I had been awake since 7 am the previous day. They offered me morphine or to start the epidural a little early. I chose the epi (I had always planned on having one anyway) and it was in and working by 6 am and I was able to rest for a couple of hours. They also gave me pitocin to speed it all up because my water had broken and they wanted the baby out as soon as possible.

About 9 am the doctor came in to check me and I was 8-9 cm and my epi was wearing off on my right side and it hurt badly. The anesthesiologist came and adjusted it and it was fixed and I didn't feel anything. It really does take away the entire contraction until the end, amazing. So, DH, my mom and my aunt and I were all chatting away when the door opened and a bunch of nurses, doctors and interns flooded the room and said that my baby's heartbeat was dropping on the monitor. They checked me and put an oxygen mask on my face and I was afraid. They thought it might be the cord wrapped around his neck. They decided I was 10 cm and then it was pushing time. it all happened so fast and I was really afraid. I pushed for an hour, which really is pushing like you are about to go to the bathroom and it hurt when his head and his body came out and I was really scared because I am a big baby and didn't want to feel myself tear, which I did, second degree. The cord was not wrapped around his neck, but I dilated so fast that he dropped down without easing down, which they said was the cause of the heart rate drop.

He was born and they told me to open my eyes and they were putting him on my chest and he cried for like 1o seconds and then he and I just stared at each other and I cried and my husband spoke to him and Ronan turned his head to look at him because he must have recognized our two voices. It was the most amazing moment of my life.

He was born at 1143 am at 7 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches and he is just so amazing. I feel like the luckiest girl in the world.

IMG_0085.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0121.jpg
    IMG_0121.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 38
aw, beautiful story and beautiful boy. congratulations xo

Aww Congratulations hun what an adorable baby boy! x

Aw huge congratulations and well done, Ronan is a lovely name and he's beautiful. Reading your story nearly made me cry for some reason! :happydance:

Lovely story!! Many congratulations he's gorgeous !!

xx

He's beautiful - what a lovely story!

Congratulations! DH and I named our LO Ronen as well. :hugs:

He is so cute! Congrats on your new baby boy. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g