Routine

x-amy-x

Mammy
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently reading a book about getting babies in a daily routine. It suggests waking them up for feeds and determining their nap times. Caitlyn has been fed on demand so far and has slept when she wants to.

I was just wondering if any of you have managed to keep a routine so far for young babies and what benefits this has had for you. I am eager to get Caitlyn into a routine. She does have kind of a routine at the moment but it seems to vary a bit from day to day.

Can you successfully continue a routine if you regularly go out on day trips or does this just disrupt it?

I would be grateful for any advice,

Thank you

Amy

xx

Give it a bit of time hun, they get themselves into a routine before too long. I've never seen the point in waking babies up from naps - they know how long they need to sleep for not us or some book.

I always let him do as he pleased up until bedtime. Then id have a little routine. But since kyle was born he fed every 4 hours anyway, so didnt really have difficulty there x

The nurse at the hospital had told us to wake him up for feeds, I thought this was such bullshit and I let her know what I was thinking about this!! She woke Josh up once and woke me and said he needed to feed. I was so angry!!!

Babies need to sleep. Of course they need to eat, but they won't starve themselves. They wake up on their own when they're hungry and they go to sleep when they are tired.

:hugs:

Hey hun...funny you have done this post, i also read a book today that said the same thing that babies need to be woken up for their feed...so i rang cow and gate for their advice. My LO is 2months old...she told me that babies need to sleep...if he takes a nap for 5hours plus i can wake him to feed but that is their recommedation however it is entirely up to me...i can always wait a bit longer. xx

I do think that babies need to be in a routine, in terms of predictability of events. I wouldn't wake up for feeds unless baby has weight issues or has day and night confused.

By this I mean that eat, play and sleep should happen in a predictable cycle.

My baby fell into one at about 2 months and I then tweaked it at 3 months and again at 4 months. He has been thriving ever since. Ryan never did wake for feeds though and needed to be woken up.

What is the book you are reading?

I do think that babies need to be in a routine, in terms of predictability of events. I wouldn't wake up for feeds unless baby has weight issues or has day and night confused.

My baby fell into one at about 2 months and I then tweaked it at 3 months and again at 4 months. He has been thriving ever since. Ryan never did wake for feeds though and needed to be woken up.

The complete sleep guide for contented babies... I've read bits of it and it seems quite interesting but i dont really feel comfortable waking caitlyn for feeds. Surely she will let me know when she is hungry. She only wakes once during the night anyway, at the most

xx

regarding the night i wouldn't wake them up for feeds what so ever

regarding the day, i did the feed on demand with kacy and she took the mick really it turned to wanting an once every hour, so i gave her last bottle then made her go 3 hours, it only took a day then she was taking it every 3 hours, then she started sleeping through cos she was feeding more.

The complete sleep guide for contented babies... I've read bits of it and it seems quite interesting but i dont really feel comfortable waking caitlyn for feeds. Surely she will let me know when she is hungry. She only wakes once during the night anyway, at the most

xx

I had a quick look through that book and the one thing I definitely didn't agree with was the letting baby 'cry it out' to sleep business.

I follow the Baby Whisperer and it has been a god send. Followed it almost to a T and still use it for reference.

Admin Notes: You may have noticed a certain authors name has been edited from some of the above posts. This is due to legal reasons. Anyone talking about said author may find that their posts are sent to a moderation queue for editing. This is to protect BnB from law suits. Sorry.

I never managed to get LO into a routine - I think because I couldn't have one myself because I was working unpredictable hours while breastfeeding. She slept thru the night from quite early on tho, and I never woke her for feeds. The hospital where she was born and where we stayed 5 days had a feeding routine - 6, 10, 2, 6, 10 (o'clock), but she never got into it and had night feeds when we got her home at first. I think you've got to do what gives you the most relief as mum - don't be afraid of trial and error! I was so exhausted and drained at the beginning but things fell into place and they will for you. :hug:

Amy-tea...i am also reaing that book!...lol...got it in the orning from the ELC...thats what made me call cow and gate...xx

I dont wake Colton for feeds now. But when he was first born I had to wake him every 3 hours and he had to eat atleast 2-3oz because of his jaundice (which was pretty bad). Since it went away though he feeds on demand. And sleeps when he wants.

I let Bella find her own routine which she is now completely settled into, it goes a bit liek this:

7am: wake up
7.30am: feed
10am: sleep for 45mins or so
11am: play time
12ish: feed
afterwards more playtime
2pm-5pm: sleep
playtime etc
7.15pm: Bath, massage, feed
8pm: Bed

We let her tell us what time she wanted to do things and now she does it at the same sort of times every day, the only thing we don't regiment too much is daytime feeds, we still feed as and when she wants it. Seems to work for us. Wouldn't wake caitlin up for a feed, seems daft and common sense tells you that she will wake when hungry.
Good Luck!

i cant seem to get caitlyn into the routine of bath, feed, bed... she is always too hungry and screams blue murder for a bottle first! Any ideas how i can get her used to it?

xx

Have you tried feed, bath and then bed? I don't think it matters which way you do it - whatever works.
Ryan has a power nap early evening, feed, bath and bed.

jack has a nap then wakes up happy ready for his evening bath then feed then bed xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->