SA results. Seem worrying. Can anyone help please?

Lawhra

NowProudMumOfTwo!!
Reaction score
I hope someone can help me make sense of it a little. It seems quite bad, although the FS said it was below average, she didn't seem concerned. I however look at it and think 'Oh my, that does not look good'!

Appearance: Normal
Liquefaction: Normal
Consistancy: Normal

Progressive (rapid): 35 Progressive (slow): 10
Non-progressive: 10
Non-motile: 45
Agglutination: <1 % Viability: 69 % Live

Mixed antiglobulin test: <1 % with adherent particles

Morphology: Normal : 2% Abnormal : 98%

A lot of it is gobbledy gook to me, but the morphology, as someone elses post has a reply saying, IS important. His is TERRIBLE!!

This is all so frustrating :hissy:

I really hope someone knows what this all means? I would hugely appreciate help on this.

I am not sure about 'Terrible' but 2% morphology can cause problems. My DH's sperm is 7% and this is classed as borderline and we are having ICSI instead of IVF. We would not be offered IVF just on the basis of his SA though as you can get pregnant with boarderline sperm, just might take 4 times as long. I had other problems. Our FS wasn't concerened either and pretty much said his SA was normal. The IVF clinic have said otherwise and offered ICSI.

I am sorry about the results as it does make concieving a lot harder for you, but not impossible. Get him on lots of vitamins and ask him to reduce alcohol, caffeine and stop smoking if he does all those things. Some guys have improved massively as result.

Is that the only thing that has arisen so far?

Hey hun

Was it your first SA? I posted previously that morphology is important BUT results can vary from test to test and the smallest amount of lifestyle changes can affect it - smoking/weight/exercise/stress - not to mention illness.

What did the doc say when you spoke to him/her? :hugs:

Brambletess: Thank you so much for your reply.

He is keen to get started on multi-vitamins and eating the foods he was advised by the FS. He was previously taking Vit C and Zinc but was advised yesterday to take a suppliment with everything in. He doesn't smoke (neither of us do, we gave up almost two years ago), doesn't drink very often, he's cut down a lot and isn't particularly over weight.
These test results are from December. We were told there is no point in repeating it.

I have mild PCOS and had mild endo removed during a lap and dye in Dec.

I hope all goes well with your ICSI. I take it your treatment will begin from your appointment in 7 days? It must be exciting to know help is on it's way :)

Rachelle1975: Thank you very much for your reply.

This was his 2nd test. They didn't really differ so they said not to bother repeating it.
Basically we were told to keep trying but IVF is recommended. And my OH was advised to take multi-vitamins and eat lots of berries! Which he is keen to do as he wants to try all he can do to improve our chances.
Health wise he's not bad but is going to increase his exersize and try and lose his little pot belly. Lol.

I'm hoping these little changes can make a difference. I may request another test if we are unsuccessfull over the next few months. Then if still bad we'll have to consider egg sharing. It's coming up to 4 years later this year so i'm running out of strength to keep hoping :(

Rachelle1975: Thank you very much for your reply.

This was his 2nd test. They didn't really differ so they said not to bother repeating it.
Basically we were told to keep trying but IVF is recommended. And my OH was advised to take multi-vitamins and eat lots of berries! Which he is keen to do as he wants to try all he can do to improve our chances.
Health wise he's not bad but is going to increase his exersize and try and lose his little pot belly. Lol.

I'm hoping these little changes can make a difference. I may request another test if we are unsuccessfull over the next few months. Then if still bad we'll have to consider egg sharing. It's coming up to 4 years later this year so i'm running out of strength to keep hoping :(

Chick how long did you wait inbetween tests? I only ask as DH did his 1st SA and was told to repeat 4 weeks later - it takes 3 months for sperm to mature so there was no difference in these two tests. When he did a third test 4 months later his count had gone up from 1 million to 8 million and things had improved??

AH DH also has a little pot belly... how is it they get away with it and we don't :rofl:

Have got DH on wellman, 1000mg of effervescent vit c and he also takes Maca.

Fingers crossed it improves.

p.s. how come you need egg donation?

We waited about three months between tests to allow for the new 'batch'. But really I think they should allow another three months from now so he can make changes and see if it helps.
I was thinking of Wellman for him. He already takes the VitC. What is MACA? I've not heard of it.
And i've no idea how they get away with their pot bellies! I'm not getting away with my weight gain! I had a bmi of 19 so was told to put on weight. At 5'8" I was about 8 and a half stone and a dress size 8. I'm now probably just over 9 stone and between 8 - 10 and have been told he doesn't want me to get any fatter! Damn cheek! FattER? I'm not even fat! Really it was wrong choice of words but I like to wind him up. Lol.

And the egg sharing would be me sharing mine to get 'free' IVF. We can't afford to pay all of it.

Got it... that's what i'm looking into at the moment as our NHS clinic is being a pain and i'm far too impatient! All i want is one teeny weeny bubba!!!

Maca is a herbal tablet thought to improve sperm motility and morphology - have a google and see what you can find. DH has definitely seen an improvement and now we have a working shower (first time in 8 months) he is offically barred from baths - hot, warm or otherwise!!!

Wellman are good - they contain all the same stuff that Zita West recommends in her book - only they are cheaper than her version of tablets!!!!

Don't you get at least one free go on NHS? What about going abroad if money is tight. There is a package in Turkey for 1700 for ICSI. Doesn't include drugs flights or accommodation but that is very reasonable. Easyjet fly there and you can get a hotel very cheaply in Istanbul. Just a thought.

Four years is a long time, I am hoping the changes your DH makes work but ultimately it is sounding like you need ICSI as well. Its so unfair. I guess you need to set a goal, keep trying for say 6 months and then if still no success look into the egg sharing. At least while you are trying you can be saving money for the treatment. I have been saving loads with the all the forced sobriety!!

MY DH has cut back on drinking, stopped smoking. But he will not give up caffeine, do exercise or stop balancing his latop on lap. It was such an effort to get him to remember to take his vits and drink less, I can't be bothered about the other stuff, I just get made to feel like a nag. He says he wants to do what he can but in reality he only manages 30%, if that even. I know in his mind he think its all a load of rubbish, he think vitamins are a con for example and his laptop couldn't possibly be warming his balls. He has a belly too and is overweight according to his BMI. He looks good though as you say Men can get away with it. I don't want to slate him as i love him, but it is frustrating and i am now just venting. Your guy sounds great, like he is doing what he can and making a real effort. My DH's sperm didn't improve but maybe with effort your DH's might.

Rachelle1975
Great about your DH sperm improvement. I hope your wait for IVF is not too long.:hug:

Got it... that's what i'm looking into at the moment as our NHS clinic is being a pain and i'm far too impatient! All i want is one teeny weeny bubba!!!

Maca is a herbal tablet thought to improve sperm motility and morphology - have a google and see what you can find. DH has definitely seen an improvement and now we have a working shower (first time in 8 months) he is offically barred from baths - hot, warm or otherwise!!!

Wellman are good - they contain all the same stuff that Zita West recommends in her book - only they are cheaper than her version of tablets!!!!

Maca sounds worth a go then. Right now i'll try anything (almost!). And we will get Wellman too.

We too need a working shower, we're unfortunately relying on my Uncle who is our landlord. He can be too busy to get things done so we're still waiting after 3 months.

I really hope you get a sooner IVF appointment and it's successfull. I wish you masses of good luck!

Don't you get at least one free go on NHS? What about going abroad if money is tight. There is a package in Turkey for 1700 for ICSI. Doesn't include drugs flights or accommodation but that is very reasonable. Easyjet fly there and you can get a hotel very cheaply in Istanbul. Just a thought.

Four years is a long time, I am hoping the changes your DH makes work but ultimately it is sounding like you need ICSI as well. Its so unfair. I guess you need to set a goal, keep trying for say 6 months and then if still no success look into the egg sharing. At least while you are trying you can be saving money for the treatment. I have been saving loads with the all the forced sobriety!!

MY DH has cut back on drinking, stopped smoking. But he will not give up caffeine, do exercise or stop balancing his latop on lap. It was such an effort to get him to remember to take his vits and drink less, I can't be bothered about the other stuff, I just get made to feel like a nag. He says he wants to do what he can but in reality he only manages 30%, if that even. I know in his mind he think its all a load of rubbish, he think vitamins are a con for example and his laptop couldn't possibly be warming his balls. He has a belly too and is overweight according to his BMI. He looks good though as you say Men can get away with it. I don't want to slate him as i love him, but it is frustrating and i am now just venting. Your guy sounds great, like he is doing what he can and making a real effort. My DH's sperm didn't improve but maybe with effort your DH's might.

Rachelle1975
Great about your DH sperm improvement. I hope your wait for IVF is not too long.:hug:

We can't get a free go NHS because I already have a son (different Father).

And we can't even afford the abroad option at the moment, the reccesion has affected my OH's earnings. Thank you for the suggestion though :)

I want to set a goal, but it's quite hard because we don't yet know when we can afford treatment. Feels like we're between a rock and a hard place.

That's really good that you DH gave up smoking! And cutting back on his drinking is good.
I know what you mean about feeling like a nag. It's really tough because although they know what they are doing is bad, they struggle to understand it really could have an adverse affect. Plus I think at times they don't want to change everything. It's a shock to them. They can really dig their heels in eh!
My OH is really good, he's certainly gotten better, but still fights some things!
And it def did not sound like you were slating him. Venting is just needed sometimes!

That's great that you've been saving loads!

You never know your pct might change the rules with the one child thing. Our PCT used to not allow IVF if there was a child from one of the parents but now they do. Your pct may change on that score too in the next year or so.

It'd be great if they do, but I just don't see it happening. It's the crappy postcode lottery.
That's great for people in your area though. Maybe I should move. Lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->