Sadly a C-section but a beautiful result!!

Emma J

Mum to One
Reaction score
This is a little late, my baby is 7 months old today and am only just starting to feel in control of my life lol. Wish i had found this site sooner as there is so much great advice! Hopefully my story will help a little anyone who is expecting their first - to be a little more prepared.

I was looking forward to a drug free active birth.
The idea was that when labour started I would use my breathing & focus techniques and yoga positions to 'get in the zone'. I had heard so many stories of contractions starting far apart and slowly getting more and more regular that I thought I would have time to get used to the pain and would cope well.
Unfortunately these things don't always go to plan...

At 8am on Tues morning I had my first contraction and by 9.30am they were regular lasting 1 min coming every 2 mins and my waters had broken. The speed at which they had gotten so close and the strength took me totally by surprise and I was unable to do anything except sit/rock on my ball, eyes shut making lots of noise!

Hubby got me to Watford ABC by 1pm, I was only 3cms! And stayed that way for many hours.
The birthing pool was great for pain relief but I needed more help and had to be moved to delivery suite.
I can't stress enough how important it is to eat and drink - I ate & drank very little as the first thing I had made me sick, by midnight I had no energy & was dehydrated.
The rest is blurry but i had an epidural and needed a couple of bags of fluid (due to not drinking enough) baby wasnt moving down and in a slightly twisted position (the reason for my server lower back pain) and by 7am the next morning I was exhausted, baby didn't want to come out so caesarean had to be done.

It was farthest from what I wanted but mid-wives had been very supportive throughout to ensure it was the last option.

30mins later I had my son lying next to me, husband had watched him come out! & cut the cord. We starred at him for about an hour barely speaking and the pain of the last 23hours were easily forgotten. After a couple hours sleep I was breast-feeding without any problems.

I felt very sad the first couple of weeks about having a ceasarean, like i had failed at doing it the right way but Tristan is healthy and wasn't coming out any other way. It hasn't put me off having more and would like to try for natural birth next time!!!

HulaHoop09 your EDD is my birthday! And you've just reminded me it's not long till I turn 30!!
All the best for you & your daughter!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"