Safe to baby shop?????

clb1982

Reaction score
Hi girls

This is my 1st pg so excuse my ignorance:blush:

But i just wondered when is the right or safe time to start shopping for baby things. Or when any of you girls started.

My mum cant resist practicing knitting (bless her, its her first grandchild) but i just cant wait to start buying things but only when i feel assured the time is right.

And what to buy and when if you know what i mean.

ppl say its unlucky to have a pram under your roof but i guess thats an old wives tale:dohh:

Don't get me wrong Im not planning on buying anything soon (temping as it is) but i just wanted an idea of when i can.

Any advice would be handy.

I started buying clothes when we had our first scan (22 weeks) :) But really it's up to you, maybe just wait until you know everything seems fine with the baby!

I didnt start buying things until 25 weeks, only because I had alot of problems before hand or I guess I would have started sooner. My mums supersticious and because I live with her im not allowed the pram, moses basket or cot in the house. Which is a bit or a nuisance because Id love to see the cot up in the nursery all finished!!

I think most people just buy when they feel comfortable doing so.

Did you find it hard containing yourself?

Im finding hard already :hissy:

I bought a couple of things just after my 12 week scan. Won't be buying anymore things untill after 20 week scan though but that's only because I want to know baby's sex first :)

I haven't got much choice about having things like cot, pushchair ect in the house because of Nathan :lol:

No i understand its a totally different story if you have all the stuff from a previous baby.

I wont be buying all the bigger things till near the end though as we only live in a small flat and dont have much storage space.

And like you i want to know the sex before i buy most of the stuff.

Think i wont be able to resist buting a few things though after my first scan:laugh2:

You can buy whenever you want, I ignored all these silly rules about waiting 3 months lol. When you feel it's right, if you see something you like..go for it.

Best advice would be to look around online, shop around, get the best prices and bookmark things - no doubt you will change your mind on which pram/cot etc you want about 10 times lol.
I wish id waited longer to order some of the bigger bits, as you just end up with a storage problem so I reckon you should buy little bits for now - clothes for example.

I would wait until 12 weeks or until you know pregnancy is viable. Although it is verrrrrrrrrrryyyyyy tempting!!!!!

I'm personally waiting until we find out what we're having, cuz it's easier to find things. BUT it's totally up to you! If you can't contain yourself but don't want to go overboard, set yourself a limit. Like, one small thing a week, or two weeks, or however long you can hold out. And buy the sale items- it helps you feel less guilty about it, lol! I didn't hold out when I was pregnant with my first! I started buying yellow and green items until I knew what I was having, lol! The only reason most wait until they're about three months is because they don't want to buy a bunch of things then lose the baby and be leftover with no baby and a bunch of items to remind them of it. But that's not a reason to worry! :hugs:

I waited until I was 24+ before getting anything, we have only just (well xmas) got the pram and the cot from just before xmas, I am fairly superstitious and didn't want anything big until I got past 28 weeks, the moses basket we brought today

I bought a few little things like clothes after my first scan which was at 8 weeks but I was always scared I was somehow jinxing it. Now I've had my 20 week scan and still have hardly anything.

Thats partly because I'm not sure if we're moving house though and I'd rather not have lots of stuff before we do. For that reason I'm going to wait till I'm past 30 weeks and hopefully better know whats going on.

I'm 16 weeks,and I've been buying stuff for 2 or 3 weeks now. I couldn't help it!! lol

So far baby has...

fleece suit
6 white body suits
3 pairs of socks
1 pair of shoes
1 white/green/yellow outfit
burping towels
bibs

I just ordered online-
blankets (fleece and recieving)
bpa-free bottles
nipples

I also have ordered a baby bag and Maya style ring sling.

SO thinks I'm crazy.
:blush:

i started buying after my 12 week scan, but only little things then just went mad sfter my twenty week when i found out it was a girl!

Hey leanne

I think i will be the same as you :)

We bought things fairly early, things like the steriliser where on offer so i got that when i was about 20 weeks. We have most big things already because this is our 3rd LO, but with our first baby i think i still bought things quite early, just after our first scan, it is too tempting not to, lol!!

It is really up to you when you want to buy things though, whatever you feel is best!!

I have quite a few items so far, i bought a my first little outfit when i found out i was pregnant at four weeks and i have been buying a few ever since, have loads now as other people have bought/given me things as well, going to wait though now, on the clothes side of things until i find out if boy or girl.

I have moses basket and two prams (don't ask), baby play mat/gym thing (they lie on it and it has dangly soft toys hanging down), a few rattles and some things that hang onto cot that play music.

We started buying after our first ultrasound last week. It's better for us to try to buy a little as we go along, rather than buy a lot at the end.

I have 2 prams as well reason being the bugaboo is not ideal for using when using the car so I got a luna instead.

I started buying things quiet early think before my 12 weeks scan just a lil outfit I think then after my 12 week scan I bought more stuff I had my second scan 22 weeks I think. I have everything already at 27 weeks all I need is the baby carrier few more bits for my hospital bag. I just love being organised cant help it.

The amount of clothes i got it unreal but its not just one size I couldnt help myself in the sales.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->