Salt

XKatX

Reaction score
How much added salt is too much? I've been looking at packets of things, but no idea how much is too much? He's just had homemade stuff so far, so it hasn't been a problem. But I gave him crumpets this morning, which he loved, but I have no idea when it comes to levels in these things :dohh:

I thought we werent supposed to give salt but only above 1 yr?

We're not, thats my point. Some things have it in and I don't know salt levels in bought food enough to know if I should be avoiding it. I normally make his own food, so it isn't a problem.

We're not, thats my point. Some things have it in and I don't know salt levels in bought food enough to know if I should be avoiding it. I normally make his own food, so it isn't a problem.

Oh my! that's a problem. How much does the label say it has? sodium for instance? I think if it's for baby food it should be safe, but again, I saw the other day in the super market cereal with honey and I was like WTF, honey only after the 1st year. Sometimes things they sell arent always right.

Sorry you are confused about this, hope someone helps you! will await for someone's response to so that I know what to do if I face the same situation! :hugs:

https://www.salt.gov.uk/babies_and_children.html

Oh my! that's a problem. How much does the label say it has? sodium for instance? I think if it's for baby food it should be safe, but again, I saw the other day in the super market cereal with honey and I was like WTF, honey only after the 1st year. Sometimes things they sell arent always right.

Sorry you are confused about this, hope someone helps you! will await for someone's response to so that I know what to do if I face the same situation! :hugs:

I'll check the label again later hun.
I have found that baby food is so high in sugar and other hidden things, thats why I only make food for Oliver, not buy the baby ones.
And as for things like honey, it can be given before 1 year, at discretion of the parents. I personally have decided that the risk of botulism is so low, that we're going for it anyway (there have been no reported cases since 1961 and even then, the cases they did have couldn't actually be directly related to honey!!). Also, it can help prevent heyfever if there is a strong family history of it - which we have. As with everything, it's about personal choice and weighing the risks Vs benefits.

tbh its everything in moderation innit. so if he has no other salt, a bit in something like a crumpet isnt going to do any harm! like katie has no sugar, so i let her have things with a bit in cos its not like its all she's eating!

I agree with Alice. i always look and anything below 0.5 per 100g i go for. Salts needed in our diet for our brains and tears etc, just not in high quantities. My daughter tends to like a sandwich for lunch rather than a proper meal so that tends to be her salt intake for the day, i try to limit everything else after that.

I agree with what you're all saying and I agree, everything in moderation. I just needed to know what the levels were, otherwise I wouldn't know if something was in moderation or not! So, if I opened a packet of crumpets, could I give him one for, say, 3 days, to use them up. Or should I be giving him half a one a week, for example.
You catch my drift anyway! (I think):dohh:

Yea i know what you mean. if i buy somethin like that, for instance one of my lo's fav things is croissant, i'll buy a packet of maybe 4 and she'll have 1 for lunch 4 days out the 7in a week then maybe not have any for a week or two. Obviously that's just an example but it's the only way that works well in our house.

He can have up to one gram worth of salt a day at his age, so work out the salt per portion. Bready things are quite salty in general.

Theres a bit in that BLW weaning book about salt. I havent got it on me to check the amounts but it says the amounts to look out for per 100g salt or written as sodium

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->