Samuel Owen's Unassisted Birth Story

La Mere

Mama of 4, ttc #5
Reaction score
The Birth of Samuel Owen Wilson

It all started off in my mind a week before Sam was actually born, on Dec. 27th. That afternoon I started having really painful what I though were contractions. They started on the left side of my belly and traveled to my back, they brought tears to my eyes. So hubby and I started getting things semi-ready for labor and birth. Hubby built a co-sleeping bed, which was the main thing we were lacking at the time.

So these "contractions" came and went over the next couple hours, would get worse when I would get up and walk around.. but then stopped. So we went about our usual grocery shopping trip the next day and my belly was consistently tight then whole day. Didn't have many more contractions, just tightening that was uncomfortable, but nothing to write home about. On Saturday, I saw the first bit of my mucus plug which really excited me because I never saw it with my daughter.

So over the next couple of days, I continued to lose my plug and have uncomfortable tightening. Hubby and I continued to DTD as usual, knowing if I was ready for labor, it would happen.. if not, we'd have the fun of DTD! Well, Wednesday Jan. 2nd the day before Sam was born, we DTD that morning and that night when we went to bed. After going to the bathroom afterwards, we settled into bed to go to sleep about 9:45 pm.. about 15 minutes later (10:00 pm) I felt a literal "POP" and a little gush of fluid.. then pain.

I waited a little while, trying to get some sleep not really thinking my waters had broken.. just suspected it. Over the next little while more fluid gushed out and after a particularly big gush, I finally woke my hubby telling him "Honey, I think my water broke." And then the contractions really started. Hubby kept trying to help me breath and relax through the contractions, but they were very, VERY intense. I was a bit nervous and hubby could tell I was letting my anxiety take hold. He kept reassuring me and tried to get me to relax enoug to sleep between the contractions, but I felt they were coming too fast and strong for me to really get to sleep.

After laboring, changing positions for what seemed like a long time, Hubby finally decided that things were really progressing and got out of bed to start getting things ready for the birth. I was up on all fours most of the time, and the contractions were so intense that I finally had to start vocalizing with each contraction. I start pushing a little (TMI ALERT) and had several BMs which helped a bit with all the pressure I was feeling.

I remained on all fours, continuing to vocalize and felt down between my legs. I could feel baby's head bulging out my perineum and was overcome with the urge to bear down and push. I called Hubby back to the bedroom to do a visual check of things and he told me he could already see the hair on top of baby's head. That gave me the encouragement to really get down to pushing, while I was pushing Hubby quickly went back to getting everything we needed sterilized and back to the bed... but he wasn't quick enough as I called him back almost immediately.

He took his position behind me to catch baby as I pushed the head out. I had to ask him if it was out and he told me he was looking into the face of our baby. I continued pushing and out popped the shoulders and then I asked if he could tell what baby was.. he told me baby's hips were still inside so he couldn't tell yet. I had to rest for a couple of contractions then gathered my strength and pushed the baby the rest of the way out.

I heard a little fussiness from baby, then crying and Hubby saying we had a little boy. At this point our daughter woke up and climbed sleepily from her bed to see what the fuss was. Hubby wiped baby down and swaddled him best he could with the cord still attached and handed him to me, then went to finish getting things to cut the cord. We were waiting until the cord stopped pulsing, turned white and went limp which was just after I delivered the placenta.

My baby boy was born at 3:30 am Jan. 3rd 2013, 8 days before his due date, 6 lbs 12 oz and 19 inches long. It was the most wonderful experience to be able to have my baby at home with just myself and my husband. I thank the Lord for watching over us and making it possible for Samuel to be born at home with his daddy to catch him and his sister to sleepily come check him out.

Fantastic story, I'd so love a UC. Xx

Such a great story LaMere! So pleased you got your perfect home birth :) xx

Amazing story! Very well done...You're so much braver than me!

La Mere: Love the birth story! So amazing! I'm happy Samuel was born at home.

Congratulations huni and welcome earthside Samuel! What a fantastic birth story :D

What an amazing story! Congratulations on the birth of your son! :D

Great story! Well done to both you & your hubby.

Thanks for sharing
xx

Wow, that sounds like a really amazing experience!

Congratulations, you are one brave lady! I have had two home births and planning my third, but I don't think I could do it without the midwives

Well done :hugs:

Wow what an amazing story! HUGE congratulations to you, your Husband and your Daughter :happydance::happydance::happydance:

Welcome to the World little Samuel :hugs::hugs::hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"