Sarahkka's Book Challenge 2011

So I picked up and read The Marian Keyes book after all, and it was okay.
Didn't blow my mind or anything, but a pleasant read and a relaxing thing to do before bed.
However!
I fond the newest Flavia de Luce mystery at the library and just finished it. This is A Red Herring Without Mustard by Alan Bradley. I LOVE this character and his writing. Such a pleasure to read!

By the way, meant to say that I have the Moomin cookbook, too! It was a xmas present from my mum! I haven't made anything from it yet, though.

Yes, I just added Twilight to my list.
Okay, I am actually embarrassed to be putting this book on my list at all.
I am reading the first couple in this series because I am writing a spoof of them for a Hallowe'en gig.
All I can say is that these are some of the most cringe-worthy books I have come across in a long time. I had to keep reminding myself that they were aimed at teen girls, but I don't think that's enough of an excuse.
I read a couple of Sweet Valley High books when I was 12, just to see what a few of my friends were so into. Twilight reminded me of that - silly, cloying, cliched, utterly predictable.
Sorry, Twilight fans. I do NOT get the obsession here.
The book was almost as dreadful as the movie. :nope:

And meant to update that I wound up reading the first four in the Song of Fire and Ice series by George RR Martin. Much better quality of writing than I had expected from a fantasy writer. Lots of reviewers are comparing him to Tolkien, and I can see why.
It's not the writing style - it's the vast complexity of the story and the world he has created. But his style is nothing to sniff at. He is a good writer.
I may pick up the fifth book soon.

Warning for those who are squeamish: lots of bloody death, murder, war, violence in these books. Not my favourite part, but not gratuitous, either. It adds to the story, raises the stakes.

Have to update list, but will do quick review:
New Moon.
This book was somewhat better. I thought the writing and the plot around the werewolves was stronger.
Still makes me squirm with how dumb a lot of it is.

Okay, just read a book that made the Twilight stuff seem like literature.
Red Riding Hood - a novel made out of a screenplay of the recent film.
So as I mentioned before, I am writing a spoofy little script on the whole werewolf/vampire genre and I need some source material.
This "book" read exactly as if someone was giving a written description of the action in the movie, with really obnoxiously obvious commentaries on how everyone in the story felt about everything sort of thrown in at random intervals.
Absolute dreck.
Just had a brief comment with EveryRose on how some books feel like they are written to exploit a popular subject/genre and get that screenplay option while they're at it. This book felt like they were trying to make sure that they got the possible book market on their movie covered.
Shamefully bad.

I totally agree about Red Riding Hood, one of the worst movie-books ever!

Really not worth the time or the money spent on it.

Just read an absolutely beautiful novel by Lisa See: Snow Flower and the Secret Fan.
I was not sure if I wanted to read about the miserable lot of women in Imperial China, particularly graphic descriptions of foot-binding. :sick:
But her writing is so beautiful that I got sucked in and read the whole novel in one night. :blush:
I also feel like I got a lot of insight into Yao culture - something I have always had trouble relating to. (One of the tribes that had pretty harsh views of women, to my western eyes.)

Wow must of been a good book to read it one night !

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->