Sarahkka's Book Challenge 2011

Sarahkka

Mama to Two Fine Boys!
Reaction score
I used to be a voracious reader, but the toddler-baby combo has really had me in a constant state of distraction or fatigue. I find it much harder to lose myself in a book these days! So, I think I am going to aim for 50 books, with a mix of fiction and non-fiction that I'd like to get read this year, and my running list of books actually read and reviews.

So, the next post will have my "Hope to Read" list, and the post after that will have my "Read So Far" list. I'll update those as I go, and post reviews further on.
Can't wait to do lots of this: :coffee: :happydance:

50 Book Challenge List for 2011

1. Raising A Son – Don & Jeanne Elium
2. Raising Boys – Steve Biddulph
3. How to Raise an Amazing Child – Tim Sedlin (about Montessori philosophy and techniques)
4. Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child – Dr. Marc Weisbluth
5. Wild Mind – Nathalie Goldberg

6. Writing Down the Bones – Nathalie Goldberg
7. The Art of Dramatic Writing – Lajos Egri
8. Last Child in the Woods – Richard Louv
9. If a Lion Could Talk - Stephen Budiansky - non-fiction (animal intelligence and the evolution of consciousness)
10. A Winter Book – Tove Jansson
11. The Summer Book – Tove Jansson
12. Snow Flower and the Secret Fan – Lisa Yee
13. Peony in Love – Lisa Yee
14. Dead Reckoning – Charlaine Harris
15. Language of Bees – Laurie R. King
16. The God of the Hive – Laurie R. King
17. The Lacuna - Barbara Kingsolver
18. Becoming a Tiger - Susan McCarthy (non-fiction - how baby animals learn to live in the wild)

Lots more to come.... that's just to get started. And it's a mix of fiction and non-fiction, including a few that I'm part way through and would really like to finish!
And this colour is the non-fiction.

Books Read So Far 2011

1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – J. K. Rowling (re-read)
2. Pride and Prejudice – Jane Austen (re-read)
3. Sense and Sensibility – Jane Austen (re-read)
4. Emma - Jane Austen (re-read)
5. The Weed That Strings the Hangman’s Bag – Alan Bradley
6. Everyone Worth Knowing – Lauren Weisberger
7. A Touch of Dead - Charlaine Harris – (short stories)
8. Minding Frankie – Maeve Binchy
9. Language of Bees - Laurie R. King
10. Heart of the Matter - Emily Giffin
11. Last Night at Chateau Marmont - Lauren Weisberger
12. Dead Reckoning - Charlaine Harris
13. The God of the Hive - Laurie R. King
14. A Game of Thrones - George R. R. Martin
15. Brightest Star in the Sky - Marian Keyes
16. A Red Herring Without Mustard - Alan Bradley
17. A Clash of Kings - George R.R. Martin
18. A Storm of Swords - George R.R. Martin
19. A Feast for Crows - George R.R. Martin
20. Twilight - Stephenie Meyers
21. New Moon - Stephenie Meyers
22. Eclipse - Stephenie Meyers
23. Breaking Dawn - Stephenie Meyers
24. Red Riding Hood - Sarah Blakley-Cartwright
25. Snow Flower and the Secret Fan - Lisa See

Where do you find the time? I'm only half way through a book since James has been born. I'll be happy if I manage to finish two books by the end of the year.

Jelly - I read mostly at night as I'm breastfeeding!:)
Plus, as you can see, a lot of it is either something I've read before and am re-reading as a sort of relaxing comfort read, or is chick lit. Not saying that chick lit can't be good writing, but I generally find it to be easy and fast to get through.

That being said, I remembered one other book that I read in the last four months after another post in the Fave Authors thread: Emily Giffin. She and Lauren Weisberger are two chick lit authors who have writing chops, I think. Good plots, good characters, and the writing is never cliched or cloying.
I can do "fluffy", but not if it's such awful writing that I start to cringe. Charlaine Harris walks a very fine line on that for me. The Sookie Stackhouse novels continue to intrigue me as they are a very original and funny sort of fantasy world that she's created, and I'm always wanting to know what happens next, but her writing can be just awful at times - sloppy and silly. :shrug:

Off the list so far, I am a big fan of Alan Bradley. I think he's created a tremendous lead character in Flavia De Luce and he writes beautifully. That's the best book: great story and writing that makes you :thumbup: in appreciation!

Gonna make my own thread! I have kept track of my books for years

Am working on God of the Hive right now. It's been slow going these last few days! :)

So the latest Sookie Stackhouse novel came out (Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris) and I read it last night.
It's a guilty pleasure. And once again, I had to tell myself to stop the inner book critic and just enjoy the story.
I have to say that it's getting harder and harder to do so. Basically, because the author is so sloppy. She constantly contradicts and re-invents characters and plotlines and it all just gets so convoluted and complicated.
So why do I keep reading these dumb books?
Because my husband downloaded the audio books of them and I absolutely love the interpretation of the actress who reads them. There is something about her voice that is so ... intriguing. I listen to her and find myself really relaxing. I put her on before I sleep because of this. So it's less the novels and more the reader, I think.
I think it's an interesting fictional world, and I want to find out what happens next, but I just can't comprehend being so sloppy and careless with the details. It bugs me. :shrug:

I agree on the most recent Sookie novel... Last I remember of Dermot he was a bit crazy, now he lives in Sookies house. :wacko:

I just finished the latest book in Laurie R. King's Mary Russell and Sherlock Homes mystery series, The God of the Hive. Really fun read. She is a solid writer and a great story-teller. I've read enough Sherlock to appreciate the integrity with which she melds Conan Doyle's character into her own fictional world.
I think this one is a great genre-crosser, too: you get historical fiction and good mystery writing all in one.
I read pretty much everything she wrote when I was spending long hours nursing my firstborn. Quite enjoy her!

I agree on the most recent Sookie novel... Last I remember of Dermot he was a bit crazy, now he lives in Sookies house. :wacko:

Don't even get me started on the sheer number of sub-plots that go on in those novels.:nope:
I tried making a list of the number of blatant contradictions, editorial "mistakes" (?) and inconsistencies in the Sookie series and I eventually just gave up. It was that hard to keep track of all of them.
But I am hooked on the Sookie-world. I just really want to know what happens next.:blush:

I have a couple more frothy fiction books that I need to return to the library, so those are next, then I am determined to read something with a little more substance. I'm thinking I may tackle the Lisa Yee novels soon or The Lacuna. Barbara Kingsolver is one of my faves.

So I just abandoned MArian Keyes' The Brightest Star in the Sky in favour of polishing off the 800-page A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin.
We are really enjoying the HBO series based on the novel and I quite enjoyed the book.
It did bump my plans of The White Queen and the Red Queen.
Must start on those tomorrow!!

I have to admit there are a lot of books on your list i havent heard of :blush: I have about 40 books on my 'to read' shelf i think i will have to list them up like you have and then try and get stuck in! I've got quite a lot of non fiction on mine aswell ,mine is mainly modern history, really interesting, i wish i had more time to read :( x x

Have you read the Tove Jansson ones yet? I've read them both and really enjoyed them.

I bought Fair Game as well and the first time I tried to read it I found it was hard work so I left it a few weeks and then tried again and that time I loved it.

I am assuming that you aren't talking moomintrolls? :)
Although, those are classic kid lit and rank as some of my all-time favourite books.
I have The Summer Book, A Winter Book, The True Deceiver, and they are all on my "to read" shelf. :blush:
I think I will add them to my list on here.

Although, those are classic kid lit and rank as some of my all-time favourite books.
I have The Summer Book, A Winter Book, The True Deceiver, and they are all on my "to read" shelf. :blush:

They are on your list here...aren't they? I'm sure I read the titles, that's why I asked. Although I love the Moomintrolls too. I even have the Moomin cookbook (which is recipes inspired by the stories, not recipes for cooking Moomins) and it is strange but good.

They are on your list here...aren't they? I'm sure I read the titles, that's why I asked. Although I love the Moomintrolls too. I even have the Moomin cookbook (which is recipes inspired by the stories, not recipes for cooking Moomins) and it is strange but good.

Um, why yes. Yes, they are.
Having a particularly with-it day today. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->