Savings account?

Lover

Mummy to Leo & Rosalie
Reaction score
Hi ladies :flower:

Leo got his birth certificate today so we're going to open his first savings account tomorrow :D Just wondering if any of you know what the best bank/building society to use is? We'll be opening the account with just over £100 that relatives have given him and then OH & I will add a little each month. We want to give it to him when he's 18 or 21.

Thanks!

Hi, nor sure if you're aware but as the child trust funds have/are being ditched there are junior isa's instead. These allow for up to £3000 per yr tax free til 18 - that's a possible 54k on their 18th birthday. Most of us can afford to max it out each yr but if you do £100 p/m til 18 that's still 26k. I know nothing about saving accounts and when the tax man appears for his share but it may be looking at junior isa's in comparison.

My lo has a trust fund with family investments who emailed me with the above info.

If you wanted a bog standard bank account Halifax do a childrens saver account at 6% interest and I THINK thats one of the best around. :)

agreed with the halifax account. Thats what we have. You can pay a maximum of 100 in a month, minimum of 10 and you can keep changing your monthly DD amount.

We just got ours with nationwide, And thats oinly because everyone on BnB had done the same (well the majoraty! :lol:) We also have one with natwest, I can still access this one, and i put her CB in it, If she needs something big-ish then i use the money in the natwest one, if nothing is used then all of it goes into the nationwide one.

:thumbup:

If you wanted a bog standard bank account Halifax do a childrens saver account at 6% interest and I THINK thats one of the best around. :)

We have this one too - it's called the Halifax Childrens Regular Saver Account. You can apply online, by phone or in any branch of the Halifax. I did ours over the telephone and have had our confirmation letter - I just need to take Jacks Birth Certificate into the branch for them to check it.

You get 6% interest for 12 months, you can only pay a maximum of £100 each month and you cannot withdraw any money from it. At the end of the 6 months they change it into a regular savings account which pays a LOT less interest so the best advice is to move the money in there into a different account with a better interest rate once the 12 months is up.

The lady on the phone did tell me that once the 12 months has gone you can apply for a new Childrens Regular Saver so you can benefit from the 6% interest again though :)

Here is a link to the account details

https://www.halifax.co.uk/savings/accounts/childrens-savings/childrens-regular-saver/

from what I know Halifax has the best long term savings account, try a comparison website for the best rates as they change often :flower:

I personally opened a adult ISA to store joeys savings for now, he has 260 pound odd ATM & the interest Is 5.9% I think .

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->