saying words and understanding

peanut84

Mummy to kaidie-rae x
Reaction score
My LO is 13 1/2 months and she says quite a few words,
Mummy, daddy, nanna, rara (which is my sister shikara), hello, pepper/peppy ( our dog), dog, josh, ta (thank you) yes and no

And she knows what the words mean cause if u say go find nanna,kara, pepper etc.she will and as soon as she sees our dog she says her name

Does this seam alot for her age? Is she a clever little princess
Or is this normal for her age?

Don't think you can ever say that a toddler is saying too many words! I'd say she sounds a little advanced, but I think girls tend to be more than boys? I find that they all get to the same level at around 3 anyway - some are faster or slower than others. No hard and fast rules. xx

Hiya! :)

Your little one is deffo more advanced than Alexa when it comes to being Verbal, and she is pretty much same Age.

Alexa can only Say:
Momma, DaDa, Duck, Bath(bap), Ball (BAhW), Fishy (ishy, but only said once) & Go

But she understands ALOT. Sometimes I think she knows everything that I am saying.
Ask her if she wants a bath, she'll say bath and start crawling to the bathroom.
I'll ask her if she is hungry and she'll grab her tummy then crawl to the kitchen.
She shakes her head no if she doesn't want something.
I'll ask if she pottied and she'll lift her shirt up to say yes, or shake her head if she means no. And she can point to her eye's, nose, mouth, and ears when I ask her where they are. And many other things.

When it comes to speaking, she isn't quite as advanced, but I'm not really worried. Her understanding is really good.

I think your baby is very advanced if she can say all of that! That;s really cool! :D
Hopefully Alexa will get there soon to. :D

My daughter is almost 14 months and cant say anything, not one word!

my daughter is a little younger and says a handful more words but i just think this means they are more advanced then some other children. I'm not sure it means they are "advanced" all around because all kids have different strengths and weaknesses. I know she says more than most 13 month olds, but I'm not sure she's necessarily ahead of the game all around iykwim.

Omar is advanced when it comes to speech. When he was 8 months he used to say bye while waving by & going towards the door in his walker wanting to go out. At 9 months he used to crawl towards his ball saying ball, & at 11 months he started to call my brother & his cousin by their names. AT 12 months he used to say more than 20 words, & at 13.5 months he was counting to 3. Now he can count to 30, he knows the alphabet, he talks fluently using two languages in proper sentences, he uses adjectives like small, big, hungry, scared, cold, hot, etc. & he can sing a full song/rhyme & tell a story.

Dylan never shuts up. I was told by a therapist he has advanced speech (yet his still not walking at 15 months lol go figure!). Everyone comments on his language...

Some phrases he has said are
"Don't want it"
"stop it"
"Daddy up"

Those are clear ones he says all the time. He just streams a lot of words. Sometimes he babbles so fast it's hard to understand him though lol - which then in turn frustrates him!

They are all different, and when they start kindergarten, you will never know who spoke first! I have heard of babies talking as early as 6mths old!!! My niece could have whole complicated conversations at 18mths. Some don't talk until they are a couple years old....I think it all falls within normal.

sounds like she is advanced on speech to me.My Lo started saying mama Dada and ta but now he only says Dada,he seems to learn something does or says it continuously then stops? :haha: he was waving lots but wont now!

I think all of our babies can probably say more than we think, they just don't. LOL

Like I've heard that babies go from not saying anything one day, to where the next day a string of words come out.

I think talking is just like walking.
They have to feel confident before they actually do it. :)

Hiya! :)

Your little one is deffo more advanced than Alexa when it comes to being Verbal, and she is pretty much same Age.

Alexa can only Say:
Momma, DaDa, Duck, Bath(bap), Ball (BAhW), Fishy (ishy, but only said once) & Go

But she understands ALOT. Sometimes I think she knows everything that I am saying.
Ask her if she wants a bath, she'll say bath and start crawling to the bathroom.
I'll ask her if she is hungry and she'll grab her tummy then crawl to the kitchen.
She shakes her head no if she doesn't want something.
I'll ask if she pottied and she'll lift her shirt up to say yes, or shake her head if she means no. And she can point to her eye's, nose, mouth, and ears when I ask her where they are. And many other things.

When it comes to speaking, she isn't quite as advanced, but I'm not really worried. Her understanding is really good.

I think your baby is very advanced if she can say all of that! That;s really cool! :D
Hopefully Alexa will get there soon to. :D

Wow i think Alexa sounds very advanced too! :shock: pointing to her eyes,nose,mouth and ears when asked is pretty advanced to me! x

Honestly I didn't know she knew this until the other day!

Her Child Care is really teaching her alot.

When we take baths Everyday I always point to my nose, eye's, ears, and mouth and say what they are and I sing the ABC's to her ever since she was born.
So I'm not sure if they taught her at Child care... or she picked it up from me. I just randomly asked her, Where are your ears!? and she put both fingers in her ears. I was quite shocked! I had no idea she knew! And she did the same to the other ones. And then I asked her where momma's were and she pointed to mine.

So your baby probably knows ALOT more than you think. We just assume that they don't know yet... when really they do, if that makes any sense??? :shrug:

Butttt..... Alexa still isn't walking yet. So she is most deffinately behind in that Aspect. lol. She is just one Lazy Monkey!! :haha:

i read somewhere that babies and toddlers understand around 80 percent more than what they can actually say/express. Cant find the right article now though. Some interesting reads below though...

https://www.babycentre.co.uk/toddler/development/speechandlanguage/milestonetalking/

https://www.whattoexpect.com/toddler-development/toddler-language.aspx

Honestly I didn't know she knew this until the other day!

Her Child Care is really teaching her alot.

When we take baths Everyday I always point to my nose, eye's, ears, and mouth and say what they are and I sing the ABC's to her ever since she was born.
So I'm not sure if they taught her at Child care... or she picked it up from me. I just randomly asked her, Where are your ears!? and she put both fingers in her ears. I was quite shocked! I had no idea she knew! And she did the same to the other ones. And then I asked her where momma's were and she pointed to mine.

So your baby probably knows ALOT more than you think. We just assume that they don't know yet... when really they do, if that makes any sense??? :shrug:

Butttt..... Alexa still isn't walking yet. So she is most deffinately behind in that Aspect. lol. She is just one Lazy Monkey!! :haha:

That really is amazing! im going to ask my LO tomorrow where his ears are :haha: ill be very supprised if he does. My Lo was early crawler (6months) and an early walker 11months BUT he still likes me to give him his bottle,bless him,he wont hold it himself,another lazy monkey! :haha:

Lol.

Yea, Alexa didn't crawl until 9 months!! and can walk across a room before falling. But she can climb onto her chairs and then onto the couch. ?? lol. no idea why she can climb but not walk.

And she can drink from a sippy or a cup with a straw on her own, and can feed herself with a fork, but often makes a mess.. so I rather not let her do it.

&& Wow 11 months!! You must be very proud! I can't wait until Alexa can properly walk!

I say that now.... :haha:

No it's not, she's just learning at her own rate, like all children do. Children acquire language at different rates, but research has shown it bears no relation to their IQ. Earlier words seem to be the ones they hear a lot and are often labels (for eg, my daughter's first words were relating to her mummy, daddy and pets - she's seen us point at the cat and say 'tigger' hundreds of times, so it makes sense that would be one of the first labels she understands and, therefore, repeats.

Understanding comes WAY WAY before them actually saying the words.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->