Scan at 9 weeks, twins but only one heartbeat.

Gemx4

Reaction score
I had been suffering with terrible morning sickness and tummy cramps so I went for an early scan. Turns out it was twins but one of them has died. I was first told to wait for 12 week scan and see if baby goes on its own. But my local early pregnancy unit has asked me to go in tomorrow. Other twin is fine strong heartbeat though. The lady said the twin with no heartbeat was measuring at two weeks behind (so 7 weeks) so I imagine it stopped growing then?
I don't even know how to feel at the moment. I'm happy that we have a healthy baby growing etc but I'm also grieving the loss of the other. I'm also so worried something will happen to the surviving twin.
I don't know if this is the right lace to post this but no where else seems right. I don't feel like I can post in the loss forum etc because I still have a baby with a heartbeat. I've lost a baby but still got one and my emotions are a mess!

I'm so sorry :hugs: it must be really confusing going through this, happy that one is healthy, devastated that one didn't make it. Just don't feel guilty for feeling happiness and relief that one of them is ok

I completely get it. My sons twin died at 8 weeks. The rest of the pregnancy was uneventful though, and hes 2.5 now.

I'm so sorry for your loss.
I don't want this to come across as insensitive, I've heard losses like this can be more common than people think, usually because it can happen quite early, and if you don't have a scan before 12 weeks, then you may not even know about it at all. But the other twin tends to have quite a healthy pregnancy. That's from the examples I've heard of in the past before.

If you're worried I'm sure they'll be happy to put your mind at ease in checking on your baby. How did your appointment today go?
xxx

I'm sorry. My youngest was a twin. We had 2 heart beats at 7 weeks and a few days later one baby had totally reabsorbed . They were identical. I carried the remaining baby to full term with no issues x

Thank you all so much for your kind words. I'm really glad to hear from other mums who've been through the same and had a healthy baby at the end definitely gives me a bit more hope!

At the early pregnancy unit they just confirmed what we knew but the twin that had no heartbeat actually measured at eight weeks one day instead of seven weeks so made it a bit further than we first thought :(
Twin one had grown and still had good heartbeat and was wriggling around.
They were much more sympathetic and understanding at the epu and discussed things with me a bit more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->