Scare Mongering...

dustbunny

mummy bird
Reaction score
This is why I hate reading the papers. It really annoys me when they print stories with such dramatic headlines trying to undermine a women's right to birth how she wishes.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...ace-triple-risk-death-brain-damage-child.html

Ridiculous. See, I read THIS version in the Guardian:

https://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/nov/25/low-risk-pregnancies-birth-choices

It's got the facts and statistics, but stays a little more unbiased!

I bloody hate the Daily Mail, it makes me cringe. It's by far the most offensive paper in the UK lol.

I read that today, came straight on here to see if anyone had posted it about....they did a good job at making you feel bad about it, it made me re-think if I want or should have a home birth as this is my first.

Especially the comments about being a selfish person for having one. :cry:

It just makes me soooooo damn angry that they have reported it in such a nasty way but then again it is the DM. The thing is the facts she be presented in an honest fashion without it being done in a way which makes you feel shit for even considering having a home birth.

You're not a selfish person for having a home birth - whichever way you decide to give birth doesn't make you a selfish person.

I am trying to read the whole research because I wonder what they mean by things going wrong. Also how they know whether the bad things that happened at home wouldn't have happened at the hospital?

I'm a first time mum wanting a homebirth and I have already been questioning the right thing and this article isn't going to help especially as it's still less than 1% of births that have issues but they focus on the 3x higher risk :-(

This kind of stuff makes me seethe! Totally biased and doesn't focus on the fact that the risk is still ridiculously low. Apparently we're all selfish for wanting to give birth in our own comfortable environment.
My home birth was amazing and I refuse to let pig-headed people take that away from me, or any other mother who chooses to give birth at home.

I've also read about this study today, It's making me think I'm making the wrong choice to have a home birth with my first.
Ahh! Why did this have to come out now? My family are all going to want to lecture me even more now.

FFS. Stupid Daily Fail.

The actual article they are talking about in the BMJ: https://www.bmj.com/content/343/bmj.d7400 which says "Our results support a policy of offering healthy nulliparous and multiparous women with low risk pregnancies a choice of birth setting."

And OMG....the Daily Fail lies..... line under the headline states "Half of women who chose home births had to be transferred to hospitals due to complications" ... where as BBC states: "About 45% of women planning to have their first baby at home were transferred during labour, although this was mainly because of delays in giving birth and the need for an epidural pain-relief injection, rather than because the baby was in distress."

Needing an epidural cos its your first baby and you have been in labour for hours and hours and you are finding it more painful than you thought isn't an emergency. Daily Fail is clearly out to scare people.

Its the daily fail, what do you expect? They aren't pro anything natural whatsoever.

I am really suprised at how many negative comments about home births there are on the story in the guardian!! Bleugh

It didn't make me doubt my decision for a second, and nobody's going to make me feel selfish for wanting to enjoy the most beautiful experience of my life in the comfort of my own living room thankyou very much! :rofl: Plus, nothing is scarier to me than medical intervention, so I know where I'll be giving birth :)

The daily mail was praising the new rules on elective caeserians a couple of days ago so I wouldn't take any notice.

If someone thinks that 'fear of giving birth' is a good reason to let a woman choose major surgery that has much greater risks to the baby, then their opinions on home birth are null and void imo! Complete idiots the lot of them!

It didn't make me doubt my decision for a second, and nobody's going to make me feel selfish for wanting to enjoy the most beautiful experience of my life in the comfort of my own living room thankyou very much! :rofl: Plus, nothing is scarier to me than medical intervention, so I know where I'll be giving birth :)

I couldn't have said it better myself.

The thing that pisses me off is that misinformation on home and natural birthing is so widespread as it is.. that the only thing this is doing is hindering those who MIGHT be thinking about it! A lot of women really feel like something is taken from them when births go wrong because of intervention. I REALLY wish there was more education out there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->