Scared about fire

Sqwidge

Mum of two
Reaction score
So the last few weeks Josh has been getting really worried about fire and any beep or alarm (be it car or house or just a door alarm in a shop) he freaks out it's a fire and we need to get out.

He's never been in a fire and nothing has ever happened at home for this to worry him. The only thing that he keeps referring to is when the fire alarm went off during a party at school last year and they all had to leave the hall...something had set the alarm off but it wasn't a fire. They all got out fine and he seemed 'excited' to tell me about it that night.

I don't really know what to do, he's not sleeping well because of it, he keeps going on about it during the day saying he's worried. We've done an escape plan at home and instead of him accepting that's how you get out in a fire he was like, well what happens if your door or my door are blocked by fire and what if this this or this...like any bad scenario could happen, which I explained what would happen. He's fine at my sister or mums when he stays but just not here.

I'm at a loss of what to do - I've asked him what can I do to help and he doesn't really know. Does anyone have any experience of this?

I was afraid (still am) of house fires but that's because when I was little we had a chip pan fire, which was all sorted and the house was fine, but I had my escape plan and I was fine with that. I thought that would help him but it hasn't seemed to help.

:hugs: my little sister had this. Also over fire too. She still does at times when anxious. At night time we used to tell her o dream of dolphins. She had a dolphin toy and had to close her eyes and picture the dolphins. It stopped her thinking of fire before bed.

Sorry its not much help x

I could have written that!

My DS (5in Feb) has the same issues, nothing bad ever happened etc etc, once Grandma told him about a mill that had burnt down near us (no-one injured) as he'd asked what happened to it, as it has no roof etc. Now every night before bed Daddy has to check the house for fires and we go through the "if there's a fire how would I get out" with him.

I have no idea why this one issue has stuck in his head, we've never had the news on around him, and TV is strictly kids only (so hasn't seen any awful news items as far as I know!) and we're careful to not mention anything burning around him, so we don't set him off. Drives me nuts, he's proper latched on to it!

He too had a fire alarm test at nursery a few months ago, so wondering if it's that?
I'm hoping that it's a phase that will just disappear shortly!

I'm hoping it's a phase too, it is driving me nuts...I'm trying to be sensitive but then it's really frustrating!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->