• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Scared and unprepared!

Jess.Taylor21

mum and expecting #2
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I posted before about the concerns with my second IUGR baby, I had my follow up appointment on Tuesday and it was not the news we had wanted to hear :( unfortunately baby isn't doing great and the AC measurement has tailed off as well as loosing more waters since my last scan :( they have decided to scan me one last time next Wednesday and if baby is tailing off still or I have lost any more waters they will admit me for steroid injections and deliver baby at 33 weeks by c-section :'( <br /><br />
I'm super duper scared I mean my daughter was IUGR but it started later on and she was born at 36 weeks weighing 5lb 5 at the minute baby no2 is only estimated at 2lb 5oz!! Not to mention the fact that it will be the week before Christmas that baby is delivered! How on earth am I going to be able to split myself between my daughter and the baby and give her a proper Christmas :(

Sorry for my super long post just feeling a bit overwhelmed by it all and not really sure what to expect or how to prepare! Oh and the fact that we still haven't bought anything for baby no2 either isn't helping!! :-0
Jess xx

Hi everyone,

I posted before about the concerns with my second IUGR baby, I had my follow up appointment on Tuesday and it was not the news we had wanted to hear :( unfortunately baby isn't doing great and the AC measurement has tailed off as well as loosing more waters since my last scan :( they have decided to scan me one last time next Wednesday and if baby is tailing off still or I have lost any more waters they will admit me for steroid injections and deliver baby at 33 weeks by c-section :'( <br /><br />
I'm super duper scared I mean my daughter was IUGR but it started later on and she was born at 36 weeks weighing 5lb 5 at the minute baby no2 is only estimated at 2lb 5oz!! Not to mention the fact that it will be the week before Christmas that baby is delivered! How on earth am I going to be able to split myself between my daughter and the baby and give her a proper Christmas :(

Sorry for my super long post just feeling a bit overwhelmed by it all and not really sure what to expect or how to prepare! Oh and the fact that we still haven't bought anything for baby no2 either isn't helping!! :-0
Jess xx
do you have family close by? Maybe you could have Christmas morning opening presents and take your daughter to spend the day with them as you go to the hospital? If not, then just split the day in two, morning at home and an afternoon celebration at the hospital as a family. Remember, your idea of a proper Christmas will differ from your daughter's. When they are little, as long as there are presents, the rest of the day is just still broken in to eating and playing. There isn't really any need to go to the lengths of a full Christmas dinner and celebration for the sake of your daughter, it can still be a fun day.

As for not having bought things for the baby, we were in the same situation with a 29 weeker, I would suggest there is going to be a NNICU or SCBU stay involved and they will provide all you need for the first wee while. After that, micro nappies and a few tiny baby clothes is pretty much all you need. And you can shop in the post Christmas sales for the great bargains:happydance:

Thanks for your reply hun :) were supposed to be at my grandparents with the rest of the family for Christmas day so I think we will probably have morning at home, take Millie to see the baby for a little whilst and then go to my grandparents for dinner and then she can stay there whilst we nip back to the NICU. I suppose I just worry that my daughter will feel forgotten and pushed out which is not how I want her to perceive the baby &#55357;&#56866; it's so hard isn't it!

Oh wow 28 weeks bless you that must have been really hard *hugs* yea im expecting them to want to keep littlen in for a little whilst although hopefully not too long, so when your littlen was in NICU did you still have her in clothes or was she just in a nappy in the incubator as I know my brother was just in a nappy but he was jaundice so that's a little different. Maybe if I just get 1 pack of vests and baby grows that will be ok until we bring baby home? God I haven't even prepared a hospital bag, hope they don't Rush me round Wednesday haha I'll be super unprepared!!!! xxx

I replied to your other thread but wanted to add here too:hugs:

Foogirl is spot on with her advice, at your LOs age (I have a 17m old so similar!) they really don't have the same expectation as we do, so however you decide to celebrate the day, she's going to love it:hugs:

NICU can vary, my 33 weeker was about 10 days but that can go up or down depending on different factors, jaundice etc. I'd get a few little bits ready, vests, babygros, some little nappies, mostly the NICU will provide these but towards the end of the NICU journey they can wear clothes and its nice to put your own on if you have them. If not, the NICU will, parents (and we did last time) often donate preemie clothes so that they are there for other parents, esp when the prematurity was unexpected. Get your hospital bag done for sure, or have someone do it for you, will be one less thing to worry about:hugs: Other little things, like having some cash ready for parking, hospital café etc, magazines for the commute were tips I appreciated:thumbup:

Good luck for Wednesday!:hugs:

Thank you mummy3 *hugs* I'm off to buy a few bits tomorrow so will be sorting my hospital bag out Monday just incase! Yea i donated my daughters preemie bits to our NICU once she had outgrown them they don't stay in them long at all do they!! You wouldn't believe my girlie was a preemie if you saw her now lol!! Thanks for the tips I shall be sure to put in a few bits just for me ;) maybe a cheeky chocolate bar!!

Fingers crossed for good news Wednesday and I'll be sure to update you :) xx

A Abby was just in a nappy for about two weeks I think, then it was just a baby gro. She went into a SCBU cot and had sleepsuits and cardigans then. But for her whole 6 week stay, I never bothered buying stuff. The hospital have to wash them and your own stuff may well go missing. Plus they wash them hard so they tend not to last. I used the hospital clothes then donated her old ones and some packs of new ones when we left. The only thing I'd buy is a nice fluffy blanket for cuddles. But check with your unit as some of them have restrictions on that.

Good luck for your scan tomorrow:hugs: I have my weekly round this afternoon, fx for good news all round, please update:hugs:

Ooh and you got me onto chocolate:haha: They do grow so fast! My 3 year old was a 3lber and now she's huge!!!

Hi Mummy3 hope you enjoyed your chocolate ;) so this is going to be a slightly long winded post!

I was admitted last night for having contractions (still am having) not dilated at all
But registering contractions every 5-6 minutes :( I had my steroids last night and this morning so I'm all good for those now and they also tried to slow the contractions down but it didn't work just made me extremely sick! This morning I went for my scan as usual and baby is still under 10th centile but has gained a few ounces so not all bad, howevery waters have dropped again :( I'm measuring at 6cms total with the lowest of two pools being 2cms so it's measuring under the 5 percentile for AFI.

I would love your opinion on my next paragraph just to make sure I'm not being unreasonable!

So as you know from my previous conversation with my consultant she was very keen that it was her that saw me after my scan today so she could decide on the next plan of action. She had said to me that if my waters went any lower and there was no decent improvement on growth then I'd be to have baby out. So I wait and wait for her to come and see me and nothing, the midwife then comes in at 12:10 and says your consultant can't make it to see you so the registrar will come round instead! Well we all know how that went last time and low and behold it went the same way!
She completely over looked what my consultant had written and didn't even acknowledge it and also told me that my watera weren't a concern unless there was a poor Doppler flow! Wellll if she'd had read my notes she would know that's one of my issues! So she wants to wait and scan me again in two weeks! As you can imagine im pretty furious that 1. My consultant promised shed see me and 2. The registrar hasn't done anything at all! Should I be asking for a second opinion do you think? My main concern is that Iv lost 3.5cms of water in 2 weeks and if I lose that again that could potentially be very dangerous! As far as I was told anything under 2.5cms deepest pool and under 5cms total is a get baby out now jobby! You'd think pair that with the fact baby is IUGR and my previous history they would be keeping a bit of a closer eye on me.

sorry for the gigantic post but I don't know who else to ask for advice xx

I would be very annoyed that you didn't get to see the consultant or at least get a sooner appointment to come back and see her, maybe in a week instead of 2. Did they check the Doppler flow this time too?

Fluid wise, I have had pprom, complete loss of water yet they still do try to keep baby in, the closer to 34 weeks the better so not necessarily a get the baby out right now situation. That said, it should be followed very closely with scans and non stress tests, have they booked you in for the NSTs? Complete loss did mean inpatient and continuous monitoring so it could get to that if its before 34 weeks but even with fluid on the lower end it does need closely watched. Maybe call back tomorrow with these concerns and push for a plan of care you're comfortable with:hugs:

Hi hun, thanks for replying and glad im not the only one who would have been annoyed! Well I'm still here they have kept me in another night due to my contractions still Being fairly regular, yea they checked The Doppler flow and it's still sat underneath the 10thxentile.

So obviously I want baby to keep baking for as long as possible just super anxious as to whether that's the best option given my medical history specially as growth and ac measurement are still under 10th centile and alsoy water has now dropped to 5centile. Going from what happened withy daughter my waters never improved they got lower and her weight continued to tail off the only difference was I was further along with her they spotted it later on at 34 weeks so I only went another 2 weeks before they induced me. I just think all the above coupled with the fact Iv been admitted with threatened pre-term would make them a bit more inclined to make a decision on what to do ie how long to leave me.

I know I'm probably just being a complete worrier and stress head about it all but Id never forgive myself if anything happened and I didn't kick up a fuss about my gut feeling xx

I am sure your baby is going to do great if she was born at 33 weeks. Pretty scary experience though that's for sure. By the way you might not be able to bring your daughter to the NICU, so I would not plan for it. No children under the age of 7 allowed in the NICU.

Hi Hun. I commented on your last post. I explained that my lil Lucy was born at 29 weeks due to servere iugr. I had Absolutley no waters for 6 weeks . They didn't really seen to concerned about that but more her growth. How are you feeling now? Xx

Hi hun, Aww bless you that must have been scary for you! Yea I'm feeling ok glad I'm now back at home after a weeks stay in hospital :) I had my scan yesterday and my waters have dropped down again to 4cms and babies growth is still tailing off so if it's the same again next week then I'll be having baby next week, when they decided to deliver you hun did they let you have a natural labour or opt straight for a c-section? Xx

Mine was emergency cection Hun. They didn't think she would survive threw a normal delivery :/

Still going!! Still having contractions and it was a show I had but not dilating which is good, I have my growth scan on Tuesday and that will determine whether they deliver this side of Christmas! I'm kind of thinking they will with all that has happened and my previous history with my daughter but we shall see! I'm happy to have made it to 33 weeks however it would have been nice to get through to the new year :( xx

Glad to hear your baby is still hanging in there mama! Every day is precious and means so much to your baby.

Hello! My son was a 27 weeker, 1lb4oz due to severe iugr (1-2 percentile). Planned classic csection because they didn't think he'd survive natural delivery ( like kiwiberry! Our stories sound similar! *waves*)

Was a rough ride ( see my sig for pics) but he's a healthy 4 year old now.33+ weeks is an awesome gestation! Your little one should be just fine :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->