Scared- bright red blood? Positive outcomes?

brandi91

Reaction score
Hey, ladies.

I am 5 weeks and 5 days pregnant. Last night I went to the restroom and there was a substantial amount of bright red bleeding. It was pooled in the bottom of the toilet and there was enough to saturate the toilet paper when I wiped. It did go away right after, but was the scariest thing.

I went to the ER and am very glad I did. They were able to check my HCG and it is up to 7800 (from 490 last Wednesday). They also did a transvaginal ultrasound and said I was measuring exactly 5 weeks and 5 days. They couldn’t see the fetal pole yet but said it was likely just too early.

That was all reassuring but I am still terrified. What would cause bleeding? My progesterone is great at a 47 as of two weeks ago. And I take 400 mg per day. They said I did have a UTI, which can cause blood, but I don’t know if it causes that much. I’m so scared every time I use the restroom now. Any success stories or words of encouragement?

Hmm didn't want to read and run. Sorry you are experiencing this. UTI'S do cause bleeding but I wouldn't think it would be blood that pooled at the bottom of the toilet. Hopefully everything is just fine! Your HCG numbers are great! Perhaps it is just a hematoma or the lil bean could just be pushing further up into the lining causing it to let some blood out? Did they not tell you why they thought you might have bleed? Good luck with everything!

I had quite a bit of bright red blood at the beginning.
Everything turned out fine. It turns out I popped blood vessels in the cervix, which they said was normal because its more engorged when you're pregnant, and little things can make them pop!

I've had bright red bleeding with all of mine, though the second and this last one have had the most.

With the first, no idea other than possibly the placenta burrowing in and causing a small bleed. The time was right for it, and it wasn't much.

The second, a HUGE amount of blood. Running down my leg, saturating my sock amounts of blood. We think it was from a combination of progesterone suppositories making the blood vessels in the vagina and the cervix more friable and apt to burst and straining in the bathroom. That was just past 7 weeks.

Third one was likely the vanishing twin, but it was enough blood that they scanned me earlier than they liked at the IVF place. 6+2, I think, or 6+4.

Fourth was off and on red spotting around 6 weeks, probably again due to the progesterone.

This one was definitely a sub-chorionic hematoma, basically a bruise formed near where the placenta is attaching. Not quite as bad as the second baby, but enough blood to send me in for a scan assuming that there was no baby. That was just past 6 weeks again. We were all surprised there was a baby there.

So, plenty of bleeding and plenty of babies! It could be caused by a lot of things, and I can't promise you a good outcome, but I can promise you that it isn't automatically the worst news.

Keep your water intake up, take your antibiotics for the UTI (if they gave you one), take a stool softener just in case, and hold on to hope as best you can. I hope this is just a rocky start to a happy and healthy nine months for you!

I had a bright red bleed like this with my second baby at 5 weeks exactly. It was terrifying and I had to wait for a scan at the EPU once I was 6 weeks so spent the week in limbo and tears. All was ok but I did continue to have random bleeds throughout my pregnancy and I did have placenta previa which may have been linked.

Your scan is a really good sign so try to stay positive (easier said than done I know) and keep as busy as you can.

Thanks, girls! My fertility clinic called me and they didn’t seem too alarmed. They said that bleeding can sometimes happen for various reasons, and that it doesn’t necessarily mean anything bad and just kind of scares us. She said it was great that it stopped. They want me to keep my scheduled ultrasound date of the 24th, but to let them know if I have any more bleeding and they’ll have me come in earlier.

Also, hubby and I didn’t have intercourse but we did get intimate in other ways and I ended up having an orgasm (I’m sorry- I know that’s TMI). Anyway, right after, I immediately felt slight cramping in the vaginal area. It was minor but noticeable. That was 24 hours before the bleed. I wonder if it was related? We hadn’t done anything else prior to that since becoming pregnant. I’m putting myself on pelvic rest lol.

Here’s my experience - I had a sensitive cervix and would bleed after walking, sex (not internal, just touching like you mentioned), and any other physical activity. It sucked but I also put myself on pelvic rest/bed rest and by the 2nd tri the bleeding stopped and I didn’t need to be on rest any more.

Also what you mentioned with cramping after orgasm is totally normal. Your uterus always cramps after orgasm but you can’t feel it when you aren’t pregnant. It should stop by the end of the 1st tri. I think mine stopped somewhere between 9 and 11 weeks.

Hey, ladies.

I am 5 weeks and 5 days pregnant. Last night I went to the restroom and there was a substantial amount of bright red bleeding. It was pooled in the bottom of the toilet and there was enough to saturate the toilet paper when I wiped. It did go away right after, but was the scariest thing.

I went to the ER and am very glad I did. They were able to check my HCG and it is up to 7800 (from 490 last Wednesday). They also did a transvaginal ultrasound and said I was measuring exactly 5 weeks and 5 days. They couldn’t see the fetal pole yet but said it was likely just too early.

That was all reassuring but I am still terrified. What would cause bleeding? My progesterone is great at a 47 as of two weeks ago. And I take 400 mg per day. They said I did have a UTI, which can cause blood, but I don’t know if it causes that much. I’m so scared every time I use the restroom now. Any success stories or words of encouragement?

I started spotting at 6w and had an US at 6w3d and found a small SCH. Each week I would have gushes of bright red blood and a large clot, and each time we would do a reassuring US to check the size of the SCH and listen to heartbeats. Every time, both babies have been happy and healthy and growing perfectly. I'm now 11w1d and as of yesterday the SCH is almost gone. It's scary but hang in there. The biggest thing is no painful cramping accompanies the bleeding.

I had some spotting off and on for a few days after getting my BFP, but then at 5+5 had a red bleed. I was so devastated, but went in to my OB and had a pelvic and HCG done. My numbers were 3,592 and then 3 days later they were nearly doubled. We found an SCH at my dating scan and baby is happy and healthy so far!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->