scared of breastfeeding

hello_kitty

Reaction score
I am breastfeeding at night and primary pumping for my son during the day. Reason I am still pumping is because I has weight gain issues with his brother and didn't realized I wasn't producing enough. My older son was always showing hunger signs even right after he just ate but because I took people's advice about how babys are able to get more milk than the pump I thought he was ok and never pumped again.

I'm would love to nurse my son during the day but too scared to let go of my pump (although I still need to pump his morning bottle for daddy while I'm working). Just the thought that I can't measure how much he's eaten scares me because I'm afraid he's not getting enough. He tends to fall asleep at the breast a lot even with a bottle he rarely finishes it before he falls asleep again.

I just nursed him over 2 hours ago and he's still asleep soundly in his bassinet I'm guessing he'll be up soon to nurse again he usually goes no longer than 2 -2.5 hrs bottle or not.

How Can I Let Go Of The Fear Of him losing/not gaining weight? I'm currently pumping 3 oz every 3 hours during the day. My first morning bottle is 5 oz. He's currently only taking 3 oz at a time so I'm getting just enough for him.

He's also sleeping longer in between feeds at night (breast fed exclusively during the night). Will this cause weight loss? I only get him weighed at well baby check ups. At his 2 month check up he gained 2 lbs in a month.

My older son was always showing hunger signs even right after he just ate

Some babies are efficient feeders some struggle with getting a great latch (I had a struggler!), so it is important to read baby's cues, even if that means winding them and relatching them quite a few times till they seem satisfied (and during cluster feeding they'll never be satisfied) and talking to a qualified lactation consultant if weight is not going up despite demand feeding, to rule out latch issues.

I'm would love to nurse my son during the day but too scared to let go of my pump (although I still need to pump his morning bottle for daddy while I'm working). Just the thought that I can't measure how much he's eaten scares me because I'm afraid he's not getting enough. He tends to fall asleep at the breast a lot even with a bottle he rarely finishes it before he falls asleep again.

How Can I Let Go Of The Fear Of him losing/not gaining weight? I'm currently pumping 3 oz every 3 hours during the day. My first morning bottle is 5 oz. He's currently only taking 3 oz at a time so I'm getting just enough for him.

I understand the fear, I really do. However I would say that although you say you "know" he's getting enough when you use a bottle, in reality you are having to guess how much he's going to want to eat and put that in a bottle. If he had your breasts, they would keep making milk till he stopped feeding. Yes he might be sleepy some feeds so have to be encouraged, or feed more frequently to make up for falling asleep but this isn't a bad thing as it will stimulate milk production to exactly the right amount (whereas you can only guess how long to pump for to get your breasts to make the right amount of milk).

He's also sleeping longer in between feeds at night (breast fed exclusively during the night). Will this cause weight loss? I only get him weighed at well baby check ups. At his 2 month check up he gained 2 lbs in a month.

He might just be getting days sorted from nights and finally realising that night is for sleeping. You only need to worry about trying to get him to feed more at night IF his weight becomes an issue. If he is well rested, he may stay awake longer to feed in the day:shrug:, who knows! Also night hormones are great (for making milk and other things) and so he may be having bigger or more chilled out or more comfortable feeds meaning he's going that bit longer.

If you respond to your baby and the latch is good then there really is no reason your body wouldn't do what it is designed to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->