Scared of every little pain!

DissySunshine

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm hoping you can help me because lately every little ache and pain and cramp has me flipping out!

Last Tuesday I was put in the hospital because I was 4cm dilated and in active labor at only 32 weeks. When I went in all I was feeling were menstrual-like cramps, no "coming and going" like I'd been told contractions did. They gave me medicines to slow (stop?) the contractions but were unable to give me any indication on when I could go back into labor. It could be any day now, or I could make it to my due date.

Because of this incredibly vague timeline and knowing that I have a short cervix, every time I feel a cramp I get nervous. I'm not exactly "damp" down there, but I'm consistently wetter than what I would consider normal. I don't want to be one of those women that calls/goes into the doctor every day because of this, but I don't know how I'll know it's time to call!

Right now I'm feeling intermittent cramping after feeling alright all day (I'm on complete bed rest), but I still have no idea what contractions feel like so I'm not sure if that's what I'm experiencing. These next few weeks are going to make all of my hair fall out :nope:

I went into pre-term labor at 33 weeks (90% effaced, 1cm, baby at 0 station) and ended up making it to 36+4. I continued working, cleaning, shopping, and taking walks and practicing yoga the whole time. You WILL know when you're close to giving birth. I didn't feel most of my contractions unless I touched my stomach, but I did feel 2 right before my water broke. I don't want to scare you but my labor was only 2 hours and I didn't start to have any pain until I was in transition (which was in the car!). I believe it was so quick and painless because I had been dilating for weeks without feeling it. The only indication I had that something was different was the day before my lower back felt a little achey.

Sorry I don't have any magical words of wisdom...just relax, there's not really anything you can do. Just have your bags packed and a person on call to bring you to the hospital. Good luck!

I agree. It is so tough not knowing.

I've had a son, and I know what my contractions felt like with him, but at my appointment yesterday, the midwife informed me that even between labors, there can be such a drastic difference :nope:.

Knowing what to expect is what I was counting on this time :haha: Oh well!

However, with what you are explaining as your experience currently, I would say it would be better to just call them and let them know that you are feeling intermittent cramping again. Real labor contractions (99% of the time) are unmistakable. I didn't get the buildup. I had Braxton Hicks, then nothing, then BAM! 9cm dilated with very intense contractions... painful contractions. I am not trying to scare you at all, but I do want to comfort you that what you are feeling could just be more dilation (which isn't great, but at least it's not "time"). However, you really should talk to your doctor if you are the least bit concerned. I'm sure they, and you, would rather a quick phone call with reassurance than waiting and finding out these were the real deal again.

I hate being that caller too, but a few times, it was extremely important. The times it wasn't, I was able to rest easier knowing that my fears were wrong!

Good luck! :hugs: Let us know how things are going

Thanks for the replies :) The pain went away again, and I've been feeling pretty good today! It's reassuring to hear that other people have experienced similar situations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->