Scared of falling?

lulu0504

Bella's Mummy
Reaction score
Whenever I put Lilia down on her back whether its in her moses basket/cot or on a playmat etc she throws her arms in the air and jumps as if she feels like she is falling and then screams! You can see the fear and panic all over her face and she gets so distressed. Sometimes it takes nearly 10mins to calm her down :cry:

Have spoken to HV about it and she suggested swaddling which sort of solves the problem at naptime but when changing her or when she's playing its just not practical to swaddle her (obviously)
She's always been this way but since she has gotten bigger its getting worse and its a nightmare to try and change her cos the slightest movement triggers it. I've started making OH hold her hands when I change her if he's around so that she doesn't panic so much

Has anyone else been through this? Any suggestions that I can try?

This is very common for baby's because the whaleing of her arms is involentery(sp) so it will startle her. I cant get Noah to sleep without swaddling at night. As she gets older her movements will become more controlled. Does she settle after being startled or is with every movement? If so Id speak to your doctor just to be safe.

She cries everytime she gets startled but she eventually settles after a few mins normally. I swaddle whenever its possible to do so (not when changing)
Hopefully she will get over this soon

why not try holding her securely (close to your body) and bouncing slightly with her to help her get used to the sensation. Try and think of different ways of turning that movement into a game - eg when she's lying on the ground happy, take her hands and pull her up to a sit then lower her back down, this is also a good way to improve their head control and develop the muscles they use when sitting up.

why not try holding her securely (close to your body) and bouncing slightly with her to help her get used to the sensation. Try and think of different ways of turning that movement into a game - eg when she's lying on the ground happy, take her hands and pull her up to a sit then lower her back down, this is also a good way to improve their head control and develop the muscles they use when sitting up.

Good advice.

That's exactly what I did with Anna as she had the same problems, and it worked like a charm. I also had to, for a while, chang Anna on my lap instead of the changing mat... and instead of a changing station use a mat on the floor - I sit holding her securely, then lower her (vertically i.e. not laying on her back) to the floor so she is sitting, then lower her back down. This worked better than lowering her a greater distance and horizontally.

She still gets startled occasionally but is much better now. I'm sure that with time your LO will improve, too. If she does not seem to be getting better in a few weeks, though it may be an idea to visit your GP with it. :hug: Good luck x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->