Scheduled C-Section

Flannz94

Reaction score
Hey ladies,

So basically, my mother and sister both had horrible first labours where the babies got stuck in the pelvis and were not able to born naturally resulting in an EMCS, then there second and further pregnancies were scheduled c-sections.
Now, I am almost 32 weeks and really starting to panic that my baby will get stuck too! (It was very traumatic for them, especially for my sister) and I do not want to have to put myself through all the pain and exhaustion of labour to be told I need a c-section anyway. Here in Australia we are able to have an elective c-section as long as it is under a private doctor (which is no problem for me to do).

So basically I am looking for opinions and experiences on scheduled c-sections,
Did you get to hold bub straight away did they take the baby away while you were in recovery?
How long did you have to stay laying down after returning to the ward?
How long did it take for them to remove the catheter?
All these sorts of things :)

Thank you in advance!!

I have no idea about sections as I've not had one, I just wanted to say your mother and sisters experiences whilst frightening have no telling on how your labour and birth will be. My mom had 4 babies naturally, her largest 7lb 2oz and no trouble at all with anyone of them. My sister had two babies naturally and didn't even get a graze she had them so easily.
I had a horrible time and a baby over 9lb. If I was comparing myself to them I'd have expected lovely calm labours and births, so every birth is very different. I've even been told that this my second baby will probably be very different again.

Have a look over in the c section forum there are lots of people's stories and experiences xx

I'm also going to echo that your mom and sister's labours do not predict your own. My labour and birth was nothing at all like my mom's -- both of hers were very traumatic for her and involved forceps, vacuum, episiotomy, and a third degree tear.
I heard a lot of horror stories about labour and birth from her growing up, so naturally I was afraid of it for some time.
However, my birth was calm, easy, I only pushed for 20 minutes, and I didn't tear at all. :)

I had a scheduled section at 38+5 due to severe fear caused by previous traumatic birth.

Did you get to hold bub straight away did they take the baby away while you were in recovery?

Yes you can.. you can request skin to skin straight away or you can have baby wrapped and placed on your chest. no they didnt take baby away at any time apart from when dh and baby were taking through to recovery while i was moved from the operating table to another bed

How long did you have to stay laying down after returning to the ward?
How long did it take for them to remove the catheter?

you do your lying down in recovery ( i was there 2 hours)... once back on teh ward i was sat up and encouraged to move as much as possible to encourage feeling back into my legs. Catheter depends on urine output... they checked mine 6 hours after surgery but didnt get it removed till 6am the day after as my urine output hadnt been high enough

I had my section 9:30am tuesday and was home by 10am thursday. was up on my feet properly the day after with no help at all caring for baby.

I will agree with the other ladies though. just because your family have had bad births that has no relation at all on what kind of birth you will have xx

I have a coworker with the same concerns as you. She wante to schedule a c-section but midwife said wait it out. See what happens. All the women in her family had horrible labors and c-sections.

When it came to her deliveries. She had all 3 of her girls naturally without pain relief and all under a few hours. So you never know!!

I had a very long labor, over 50 hours after being induced. And even tho it ended in a c-section I'm still happy I went through the process. I was induced but my water broke on its own and it was neat to experience. I probably could have gone vaginally but after being in labor for so long I was exhausted and I couldn't push anymore. Every labor really is different.

I didn't get a chance to hold her. My arms were strapped down. DH got to and he held her right next to my face. We stayed in the delivery room for about two hours and when we were in postpartum I could move whenever I wanted and I was walking about 20 hours later. Not exactly sure when they took the catheter out, I think after 12 hours after I was having bowel movements and I was able to walk to the bathroom.

I had a scheduled c-section. Was up the next day and without pain medication within the same week. Normally you will be able to hold baby immediately and start breasfeeding, but with DD it worked a little bit different for several reasons. I am having one again and I really don't see any problem with it if that is what you want to do. Don't let anyone make you feel guilty either way since it's YOUR decision.

My mom and my sister both had 2 c-sections and i had a c-section cause my son's head was too big to fit through my pelvic area we did fine. The good thing bout it is my stomach was flat. That was years ago. I have a scheduled c-section for my baby girl in 3 months. Its not too bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->