Scheduled vs. On Demand Feeding

With my son, I never woke him for a feed, and never timed how long he had gone without a feed if he were asleep. Obviously i knew roughly how long it had been lol but he just used to let me know when he was hungry and that method worked well. He had a good appetite and still does now and he's 8! lol

I'll be feeding by the same method with this baby xx

with my first i fed on demand so will be doing the same this time although first time round it was formula as i hadnt produced any milk (he was early) :-/ this time im going to try for breast hope i get somewere this time but either way i will feedon demand xx

About babies who go through growth spurts, of course they do. Mine just fed LONGER when little and there are times to accommodate these cluster feeds also. But to feed them like that daily isn't going to work for some people. If they are really hungry they let out a loud, high-pitched screaming until they are fed, at least with my baby. A pacifier wouldn't interfere with when she was really hungry. You have to be reasonable with the times though, you can't expect to feed a newborn once every 4 hrs. They eat every 2 hrs or so. The more you feed during the day, the less they need at night also. I don't believe in waking a sleeping baby. I had to because of engorgement though. The feeding schedule helped get my milk balanced more, even though I still had oversupply. If she wasn't nursing enough, I wouldn't have produced that much milk. I also had a 16 lb baby at 4 months old so very happy, healthy, and well-fed, even with a schedule. It's more like, not even necessarily a set feeding time, just knowing the differences in cries to be changed, fed, held, or the need for a pacifier. So many people feed on demand when the baby doesn't NEED to be fed, it's just fussing because it wants to be held and patted etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->