school application done.... sigh

aimee-lou

Totally Outnumbered!!
Reaction score
As much as it pains me, I've just submitted Earl's school application to our local infant school. I don't much like the school, but the infant section is a lot better than the junior section, plus we're likely to move after his reception year, so it's only for 1 school year probably. I was toying with the idea of putting another school as preference 1, the one where his friends go from his old school, but they're all in Reception now, so wouldn't be in his year, whereas all the children he's at school with now are moving up with him, and are his friends, and he knows the school as he's going to in-set days there once every half term (has one next week which he's excited about). I figure that a smooth transition into reception will help when we move and he has to move school completely.

There's also a liklihood we'll be moving next summer (2014 rather than 2015) so he will be going to a different school altogether should that be the case, in which case all this worry will have been for nothing. Arghhh kids! :dohh:

We had a similar situation!! What with possibly moving after the first year.
My sons friends ended up in a completely different school, and we got allocated out second choice. Kids are so fickle though, and quickly makes tons of new friends!! I felt sad for him at first, but now he is thriving!!

Good luck with your application!

well done!

I am waiting a few more weeks as planning on visiting another 2 or 3 schools (have seen 5 already, we have 22 state primaries within a mile of our house). Then I need to figure out an order (we get six preferences). Realistically I think that there's 2 or 3 we have an OK (but by no means certain) chance of getting a place at, 3 with an outside chance depending on how many siblings etc and how far out they go this year and the rest really, really unlikely.

Well done for being so proactive and have gotten it done already. Ive still got to view one more school before thinking about applying. One less job out the way for you, for now :)

Ours isn't open yet, I got my pack today but the online bit isn't open yet.
Did any of you put a full five or six schools down? We have a choice of five but I only want to put two? X

Did any of you put a full five or six schools down? We have a choice of five but I only want to put two? X

We get 3 and i filled all 3 but put our local one as top as it's more or less a given that you'll be placed there if you live here.

We get 4 choices and I'll be using them all.

Our catchment school which we will prob end up with is a good school but big - 90 kids in each year, seperate infant and junior school and was really soulless both times I looked around. The one I want is a 1 class entry primary but we are 2 streets out of their catchment area and they tend to be nearly full just with siblings.

It's a really tough call because it looks like you have all this choice but really you have very little :nope:

I just saw a document from my local council about how many applications each school had and how many places were offered. My sons school had a two form entry, so 60 places to offer, and 243 had it as preferred first choice!!! So it really depends on how over-subscribed schools are in your area.

Yes I will be using all six preferences! They usually advise you to use all your spaces.

We get 4 choices and I'll be using them all.

Our catchment school which we will prob end up with is a good school but big - 90 kids in each year, seperate infant and junior school and was really soulless both times I looked around. The one I want is a 1 class entry primary but we are 2 streets out of their catchment area and they tend to be nearly full just with siblings.

It's a really tough call because it looks like you have all this choice but really you have very little :nope:

This entirely.

Our local school is just like the one you have described, and if I'm honest, I don't like it one bit. The one I really wanted was the church school which is a 1 form entry like you described too.... but they had over 200 applications for 30 places! They have to turn away siblings :wacko: I'm about a mile out of catchment for it, so not a chance. In reality I know that the best thing I can do is to accept the fact he's going to the local one, get him nice and settled and try to keep upheaval to a minimum if we're moving anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->