School decisions

jensonsmummy

Reaction score
My son (4) is currently at nursery and thinking of primary schools.

He has special educational needs and within the 2 months at nursery he is at stage 2 on IEP.

My dilema is where he goes next year. The forms need filled in before his education psychologist assessment.

Choice 1 - small country school where his brother goes. That is 2 minute walk from the house. Have had no issues with DS1 at the school but he has no additional needs

Choice 2 - primary school attatched to his nursery. More experienced with special needs as they usually have a few in each year group. Better support from transition period to P1. Disadvantages are large school with 400+ pupils and in a rougher area

I'd go for the smaller school then if it doesn't work out a unit attached to mainstream or special needs school and he goes via transport if needs be. My son has an Ehcp and iep and goes to a mainstream school but he is in the special needs unit. His class has 6 children.

If.you go for an Ehcp they may suggest a school for you if they think he needs more help than a mainstream can provide with support.

Thank you for ur reply. Im probably going to sound stupid but what is an EHCP? This is all new to us.
I would much prefere him to go to the smaller one because thats where his brother is and its in better area, just a bit worried about how much support they can give him

You might know it as a statement. The name has changed to Educational Health care Plan. It's a legal document given by the local education authority outlining the child's needs, what therapies they need, if they need 1:1, transport, specific school etc x

Oh right yes i know it as a statement. Its all so confusing. Wish someone would make the decision for us or at least a bit more advise. We r in Northern Ireland and the forms need in around christmas time

I would go for the first school. On paper the second should give better support but this doesn't always work out in principle and if everything else leads you to choose the first school I would go for it.

I would errr on the side of the smaller school.

Can you go in and chat with the Head Teacher (or whomever would be best) and ask what provisions they have for children with extra needs? & how would they support your LO?

I think my plan of action will be wait until open night and find out who senco is and arrange a meeting with them and the p1 teacher at the smaller school where my other son is. The principal wudnt be the best so think will bypass him. So hard to know if ur doing the right thing

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->