School Dinners Vs Sandwiches. What to do?

pinkish_angel

Reaction score
Im not too sure if I'll get many replies at this time of night on a sunday but its been worrying me all day. My daughter has just started reception and its her first week of stopping for dinner tomorrow. I have applied and been accepted for free school meals so my intention was to let her have dinners, however everyone I have spoke to is sending their LO with sandwiches. Infact, I havent spoke to a single parent that is making their kiddie have school dinners. Im a bit worried cuz I know my daughter, and I know very well that when the time comes and all her friends go off with their lunch box and she has to go stand in a daunting queue to get her hot dinner she is gonna be really upset. What would you do? Shall I make her some sandwiches just incase the worst case happens and she gets all upset? If I do that though, and tell her, she will just automatically have the sandwiches and not even try the school dinners. I could give some to her teacher and explain the situation but they will just say 'oh leave her she will be fine', take the sandwiches and then forget and she will still be crying in the lunch hall and the teacher Ive explained this all to wont be there to help her. lol does this make sense? I know I just sound like a paranoid mum. Maybe I should just tell my daughter that if she wants sandwiches then its fine and just let her have them if she wishes. What would you suggest?? xxx :wacko:

I would say maybe just because it's the first full day give her sandwiches and let her go over and have a look at the food if she wants too. then explain to her that she can have yummy hot food and that she won't be the only one that there are lots of other kids having it too. there's no point risking a meltdown on the first day

Thanks hun, I think you are right. I just figured that if I give her sandwiches from day one she will never want dinners but I suppose its no big deal. Theres no point making her do something thats gonna upset her... and you are right.. after a while she may see that some kids are having them and decide to try them too xxx

I gave mine sandwiches to get used to the lunch routine but now they decide as and when at beginning of week. I expect lots do have dinners xx

At my daughters school all the reception children sit around the same table whether they are having packed lunch or school dinners, so it might not be as bad as you expect. If this isn't the case then as long as you don't mind her having a packed lunch, give her the choice and see what she decides she wants. But try and make it clear that what she decides is for everyday and she can't swap and change every morning. I hope her first day went well. I worried something terrible when Grace started school last year xx

Mollie has had both and tbh i prefer her on dinners.

In the dead of Winter, i dont think cold butties will warm her up but a school dinner will keep her warm till she has her tea at home.

She has sandwiches from April to July but thats it.

V xxx

Thanks for the advice ladies. In the end I did her some sandwiches but said to one of the teachers on the way in that my daughter was a bit nervous about having a cooked dinner as her close friends were having sandwiches. She kinda took her under her wing and luckily my daughter was fine. She did say 'I didnt like dinners' when I picked her up but she didnt mention it again and both tuesday and today she has been great. Its just become natural to have dinners now and she doesnt even ask for sandwiches. Phew. Im so relieved. Thanks again everyone. You are right Cheryl, Im the same.. worry worry worry. I think I worry more than she does hehe xxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->