School failed to tell us son is classified As special needs!

hypnorm

Reaction score
So angry with my sons school, he is yr 3 and the youngest due to a late August birthday.
We have had a fall out with the school last week so we asked them to send us their problems with Ewan in a letter which we recieved on Friday... Too other two days to send the letter! And 'as you are aware Ewan was placed on the special needs register in October 2010" well no we didn't know! No one explained anything to us, he has an IEP which we thought was issued for each child. This all goes back to the awful reception teacher he had, which he also had for year 1 too. He had a great year in yr 2 and this year his teacher has ignored everything that helped him last year! We have asked twice for the homes/school target card to be reinstated and his teacher said, we don't do those in yr three, they don't work.... Well it did and the head has now asked for it to be put back in to use! Doesn't exactly instil confidence if the head is having to tell teachers what to do.

Plus there was an issue last wee where the teacher has me in flood of tears after discussing in the play ground that Ewan wee'd in the changing rooms at swimming, Ewan swears he didn't do it, and when I asked the teacher if he saw him do it, he said no but a very reliable pupil did see him do it.. I said we'll how can you say he did do it if you didn't see him and Ewan has been giving me a consistent story each time. And he basically shrugged his shoulders at me and said it was seen and there was uproar... Ewan said he was wringing out his shorts and some one shouted he was wee'ing but he said it was just the water from his shorts. How can a teacher physically name another pupil in an incident! And kids can make mistakes. So we have written a detailed response:growlmad:

it sounds like there's been a real lack of communication :( Is the Head any good? I would completely bypass the teacher and go to him/her I think.

Yes are corresponding with the head teacher, who was quite rude when my husband phoned up this week aft having me sobbing down the phone to him. Ewan's class teacher really belittled me.

:( they sound really awful - I don't know if it's a good idea, but are there any other schools in the area?

We wanted to change schools as we recently moved but ther school have no vacancies for Ewan in the year he would go up to.

that's a shame. I hope you manage to get it sorted soon.

You may find contact with IPSEA helpful

https://www.ipsea.org.uk/

A few years back I had similar trouble, nobody told me my son had been placed on an IEP, he'd been on it months, they tried saying I wasnt aware because i didnt attend parents evening, when in fact I had had a 1 hour session with his teacher! I was furious. The old head was awful, no support or underatanding at all. Im pleased to say we now have an amazing head teacher and it makes all the difference. Keep us updated- its not on :( x

We wanted to change schools as we recently moved but ther school have no vacancies for Ewan in the year he would go up to.

Can the school put your son on their waiting list so that when there is a vacancy he can be moved?

I wouldn't have confidence in the school tbh so moving would be a must for me. You also need to speak to the head teacher. Prior to seeing the head try to gain any info about how the school should be acting etc and threaten to report them to ofsted or wherever if they don't start showing you and your child the respect/support needed.

School s can be SO frustrating! But do NOT let them tell you he is special needs! My son is also the youngest in his class. He was born in late November, here in Canada the cutoff is Dec 31st. So he had a hard time getting into things. Now luckily for us we've had great teachers who understood that he was the baby of the class and, as such, needed a little extra help. He's had learning support teachers in to assist him, at one point they were in every other day. He has had special routines implemented just for him, yet they all understood that he did not have 'special needs'... he was YOUNG and as such was a little behind the others in progress.

Is there any way you can request a meeting for yourself, the head teacher, and his class teacher? That way you might be able to get out what you need to say and get a grasp on what their plan is for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->