School runs

aimee-lou

Totally Outnumbered!!
Reaction score
People with older children, please can you give me some reassurance. My eldest is 5 and started full time school in September. So far, the school runs are causing nothing but problems for the younger ones. I know that the winter weather etc don't make it a pleasant experience, but I just feel so horrid dragging them out twice a day in the freezing cold, not enjoying their day because we have to drop off/collect their big brother. The school run isn't the longest - it's approximately 2/3 of a mile each way so about 1.5 miles in total and takes an hour including drop off/pickup so it's a chunk of time. Bless them they do patiently sit in the pushchair, they have snacks, we go to the park etc on the way home normally and do stuff most days around naps etc, but I do feel like the afternoons especially, are a bit of a blot on the landscape.

Does it get any better or is this it for the next 3 years until they're all at full time?

I have no comparible school run experience but i am guessing this will probably be the worst term for it. Winter and the age of the others.

Dragging them around isnt always fun, but also good for them as they get to see school etc and when the sun is out the park will be a lot more fun. Sounds like you are doing fine.

I've only got the 1 but my friend's with younger ones are finding it pretty restrictive and like you describe. One friend has a 25 min walk each way so that's nearly 2 hrs a day spent walking to school and back with her 2 yr old. She's making the most of it by going past the play park and letting him walk a lot as it's mostly on footpaths.

One positive though is that the younger siblings at my DS's school already know most of the kids in his class as well as their brothers and sisters and are used to going to the school - by the time they start it will be second nature for them to be there.

Winter is by far the worst term as its cold and miserable. In the summer they can more easily scoot and its nicer.

They do get to know the other children as well, I tend to try and get there 5/10 minutes earlier so DS can have a run around with his friends as well and then he does a bit of walking back with his sister - this is the one I tend not to rush.

Also I am friends with a couple of other mums. Sometimes one looks after the younger two and the other picks up the older ones and have a joint playdate. Sometimes one goes with the younger one and just drops the older one off. Sometimes the younger ones have playdate and then drive up so its just walking back. This helps so he does not have to go all the time. A couple of friends also drive and we are on the way so they pick DD up as well.

My hubby does the school runs as I am at work but he has found it difficult and restricts what he can do with Tommy and Eddie in the afternoons especially and it also impacts on Eddie's naps. Tommy started pre-school last week and he does mornings so poor Eddie is dragged out rain or shine 4 times a day for pick ups/drop offs now.

It's just become a routine here , it's not so much a problem in the morning - more in the afternoon as it delays / sometimes stops his nap and milk he doesn't seem too bothered and he gets fresh air

I've only got two so maybe it isn't as bad.
When my eldest started school the youngest was 2years. I didn't bother getting her dressed and stuff before taking the eldest to school. The school is 1miles away and we walked so the total time out of the house in each trip was around 45min.
I always felt mean on really cold or wet days as 45min in a pushchair wasn't much fun.
It was never really a problem though. I think you just get used to it.
Afternoons were probably easier as I could arrange to do stuff in the same area as the school so we didn't have to leave quite so early.

That sounds difficult. I have one on the way and know I will eventually need to move as I don't have enough room in my 2 bed maisonette. I really don't want to though because the school is at the top of the road, for me it's a 30 second walk!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->