School starters 2019

laura109

Reaction score
Hi does anyone want to talk who has a child starting school this September? My dd was born in Feb 2015 and some how she is 5 months away from starting school.

We find out next month on the 26th where she is going. I've put our first choice down as one that's a 25 minute walk away but I like what I see. I am a tad nervous about routine if we go here
As it's lots of walking. I have a one year old too so I need to be up and our the house by 8.10am. Then there is the school 5 minutes away that I put as second. Apart of me wants this school for the ease of getting there but it didn't come close in behaviour standards etc as our first choice.

I've been a stay at home mum for 5 years nearly. I started getting anxious when my dd turned one. I over think and whittle about things now that I never considered before. One comfort I've had is I don't have to go out if I'm having a bad day. But school is going to change all that. I do hope I learn to mange my anxiety so that I don't get nervous and end up feeling weak and wobbly and sick.

When I think off dd starting school I feel a mixture of emotion. She's a handful and makes a lot of mess, so I hope school will give me time to get some structure back in my life. I hope I can spend time with my little boy and get things done so I actually can spend time with my kids when she's home. I spend the days tidying up her mess and she does seem to wonder around causing chaos when she's not at nursery.

Another emotion though is the thought of this part of our lives coming to an end. For four years we've been together, we've walked, we've gone to the park, we've sat in the garden on hot days, we've cuddled and snuggled, we've had baths, visited family and friends, gone to baby groups, we've had lazy pj days, I've watched her dance and play... my days are about me and her and her brother now. But my heart hurts that soon we won't be walking to the park on a random Wednesday morning and walking to get some chips for lunch. I'm going to miss these days so much. Ahhh

Please join in with me lol

Don't worry about it :) Transitioning into reception isn't as scary as you think. They normally gradually introduce hours within 1-2 weeks to help children adjust.

My DD2 starts in September (born June 2015), she currently attends nursery at the school we've applied for, and DD1 is currently in year 2 at the same school. We live out of catchment area - 2 miles from the school, 1.6 miles of it is up hill and she manages just fine walking it. Sometimes she did 8 miles walking a day with me. The pushchair broke in December and I refused to buy another. We all play games - eye spy, spot x-amount coloured cars etc just to pass the time. The scenery in general is nice which makes it better. Drop off - Set off at 8am, get to school for 8:45am. Pick up - set off 2pm and get to school at 2:55pm. If I'm collecting both then I can make the trip in 25 mins.

When DD1 was in reception and year 1, DD2 was always with me and my complete side kick. I cried when she started nursery for the first day, she surprised me tottling off like I didn't exist haha. When I picked her up I remember seeing her face with a huge smile on shouting "That's my mummy!!! I have fun!!" That set the tears off again.

The routine will do you favours and give you a purpose to get outside, you have one less responsibility to worry about for 6 hours. You get some "me time" back. Then you finish the day by getting to learn about what your DD has achieved. Not to mention you will meet new mums as they literally become your social life naturally. If you think you will struggle, it might be helpful to you to look at some coping mechanisms - something in your pocket which you can twiddle with etc if you feel your anxiety creeping up on you :)

You will be fine though :flower:

My DD starts this year too, she should have last year but I deferred her as she would have started at 4 years 8 months and was not ready. I'm excited for her. :)

I get feeling sad about not having those days but it makes you appreciate the things you do and time you spend together a little bit more. There are still holidays and inservice days too and I've found plenty time to do things after school. My son will be going into his 3rd year of school this year and the transition from nursery to school as far as how I handled it was not as terrible as I thought it would be. :)

My daughter starts in September too, she was born March 2015. It's crazy, I can remember you from the pregnancy pages!

I'm not worried about Saskia starting school, she's very ready. She's sociable and confident and I'm pretty sure she'll be fine. Slightly worried about how the teachers will take her, she's loud and bossy :haha:

However Saskia has Juvenile arthritis and has hospital treatment every 2 weeks so her attendance will not be great. I'm worried about what will happen on days where she's struggling with pain and fatigue. She does to a tiny nursery and they all look after her so I'm quite worried about the transition. At the school where she'll (hopefully) go, they have to run a daily mile, my son hates it (sounds like hell to be fair :rofl: ) and I hope she won't be forced to do what she can't. She can't even walk a mile, let alone run it!

I do know it'll be good for her though. She loves nursery and she's ready for a bit more structure.

Don't worry about it :) Transitioning into reception isn't as scary as you think. They normally gradually introduce hours within 1-2 weeks to help children adjust.

My DD2 starts in September (born June 2015), she currently attends nursery at the school we've applied for, and DD1 is currently in year 2 at the same school. We live out of catchment area - 2 miles from the school, 1.6 miles of it is up hill and she manages just fine walking it. Sometimes she did 8 miles walking a day with me. The pushchair broke in December and I refused to buy another. We all play games - eye spy, spot x-amount coloured cars etc just to pass the time. The scenery in general is nice which makes it better. Drop off - Set off at 8am, get to school for 8:45am. Pick up - set off 2pm and get to school at 2:55pm. If I'm collecting both then I can make the trip in 25 mins.

When DD1 was in reception and year 1, DD2 was always with me and my complete side kick. I cried when she started nursery for the first day, she surprised me tottling off like I didn't exist haha. When I picked her up I remember seeing her face with a huge smile on shouting "That's my mummy!!! I have fun!!" That set the tears off again.

The routine will do you favours and give you a purpose to get outside, you have one less responsibility to worry about for 6 hours. You get some "me time" back. Then you finish the day by getting to learn about what your DD has achieved. Not to mention you will meet new mums as they literally become your social life naturally. If you think you will struggle, it might be helpful to you to look at some coping mechanisms - something in your pocket which you can twiddle with etc if you feel your anxiety creeping up on you :)

You will be fine though :flower:

Thank you for your lovely kind reply. Its good to know your little ones are managing the walk. My little girl is a great walker thankfully, so i think she will be ok. I think once i know how things work and get used to early mornings and getting out the house, we will be ok. I think alot of my anxiety at the moment is due to how ill weve all been this winter. I found out tuesday her school. Im feeling a little more positive now too. I am going to try work on my anxiety over the summer. Thank you again for your kind reply x

My DD starts this year too, she should have last year but I deferred her as she would have started at 4 years 8 months and was not ready. I'm excited for her. :)

I get feeling sad about not having those days but it makes you appreciate the things you do and time you spend together a little bit more. There are still holidays and inservice days too and I've found plenty time to do things after school. My son will be going into his 3rd year of school this year and the transition from nursery to school as far as how I handled it was not as terrible as I thought it would be. :)

I totally understand you. My daughter will be 4 years and 6 months. I can understand why some mums hold them back a year. There is a big difference in a sept baby (5) and a june/july/august baby just aged 4. Thats almost a whole year and in the younger years its a huge difference.

I hope your little one settles in well x

Did everyone get the school places they wanted? X

Can I join? Mine was born July 2014 so we deferred too. We got our first choice this year after a huge fiasco last year applying late because we moved house.

The school is literally twenty seconds' walk from our back gate.

I'm so happy to have her so close but as I also suffer with anxiety, I'm scared too. She's been an absolute star in nursery and is extremely popular, but I'm still worried that she won't settle down or make friends even though I know it's incredibly unlikely.

I'm just aware of how mean children can be to each other, especially as they get older, and the thought of her ever being unhappy or having someone be horrible to her devastates me!

I also have an almost 2 year old and am already worrying about her going to school too lol.

Can I join? Mine was born July 2014 so we deferred too. We got our first choice this year after a huge fiasco last year applying late because we moved house.

The school is literally twenty seconds' walk from our back gate.

I'm so happy to have her so close but as I also suffer with anxiety, I'm scared too. She's been an absolute star in nursery and is extremely popular, but I'm still worried that she won't settle down or make friends even though I know it's incredibly unlikely.

I'm just aware of how mean children can be to each other, especially as they get older, and the thought of her ever being unhappy or having someone be horrible to her devastates me!

I also have an almost 2 year old and am already worrying about her going to school too lol.

Hiya. Thats great that she is so close by. Its a horrible feeling. I know how you feel. Even though i know everyone else has a 4 year old going through the same thing i still overthink and worry.

The last couple of weeks i have been reminding myself that she is ready. Since her baby brother has been walking and doing more i have noticed she seems more emotional. She has been doing things on purpose and i honestly struggle to be with her all day. I just hope school will calm her down and help her to keep her mind busy.

Its so hard to let them go though isn't it xx

Hiya. Thats great that she is so close by. Its a horrible feeling. I know how you feel. Even though i know everyone else has a 4 year old going through the same thing i still overthink and worry.

The last couple of weeks i have been reminding myself that she is ready. Since her baby brother has been walking and doing more i have noticed she seems more emotional. She has been doing things on purpose and i honestly struggle to be with her all day. I just hope school will calm her down and help her to keep her mind busy.

Its so hard to let them go though isn't it xx

It's terrifying. I feel like my younger girl and I will benefit from having more time alone together, but I'm so worried!

I just try to remember how much I loved primary school - the best years of my life bar none - and she's a much more laid back and easygoing child than I ever was.

Then I start worrying about how different everything is now and how I really don't want her to have an iPad or a phone or any of the other things children seem to have so young these days. But what if everyone else is using them and she is left out? Where/how do you find that balance? We don't even have a TV licence ...

Homeschooling is forever on my mind but I don't think it would really be good for her and I don't think I could cope with it either.

Agghhhh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->