School telling what to put in packed lunch?

I think there was a study done showing the sugar does not cause hyperactivity.

This is nuts!!!!! Alex has a heart condition and will need to stay very hydrated when he's at school. If ANYONE told him he couldn't have water the whole time he was at school, they better run because my wrath would be coming down so hard on them!

I think it's terrible that dinner ladies TAKE food from children! How horrible is that?

They don't ban children from drinking water as water is water, they are putting a ban on fizzy drinks!

I am more concerned about my sons education and not if they have a lunch box policy :dohh: I think some on the mums on here are getting worked up over something so small!!

My son doesn't eat chocolate, he doesn't eat crisps, he doesn't have fizzy drinks or fruit squash, so the policy wouldn't affect us anyway

I think its great that schools are taking an active interest in childrens nutrition. I think they have it a bit wrong at times, i have heard of people having bits of cake or those scotch pancakes taken off them, when actually fat is an important part of food and necessary for kids to get through the day.

This is nuts!!!!! Alex has a heart condition and will need to stay very hydrated when he's at school. If ANYONE told him he couldn't have water the whole time he was at school, they better run because my wrath would be coming down so hard on them!

I think it's terrible that dinner ladies TAKE food from children! How horrible is that?

They don't ban children from drinking water as water is water, they are putting a ban on fizzy drinks!

Not true! I know children who are not allowed to have water in bottles in the classroom!

Not true! I know children who are not allowed to have water in bottles in the classroom!

Both schools that my daughter has been to, both in different areas have actually asked for them to bring in separate water bottles for during they day. Most schools also have water fountains too around here but the school that she is currently at have stated they prefer water bottles so that they can keep them next to them during the day, that way kids aren't getting disrupted every time they need water by going to the water fountain. They are only allowed water in them though, I'm sure they wouldn't notice flavored water if the child wasn't to like normal water but I'm not sure as we don't have that problem. :)

I have never heard of kids not being allowed water and TBH really can't see teachers denying it.

I am more concerned about my sons education and not if they have a lunch box policy :dohh: I think some on the mums on here are getting worked up over something so small!!

My son doesn't eat chocolate, he doesn't eat crisps, he doesn't have fizzy drinks or fruit squash, so the policy wouldn't affect us anyway

TBH I also can't see why people get so worked up by it, like a PP said I think it is good that their taking an interest and doing what they can to help.

There is obviously a problem with obesity in both adults and children in this country and although schools are unable to eradicate the problem altogether surely encouraging and promoting healthy eating in schools can only be a good thing.

I'm not saying that my kids don't eat no junk food because they do to a certain extent but that is along with a healthy diet 99% of the time. At home they do have crisps of a weekend after a sandwhich but I'm quite happy that their not 'allowed' them in school as it means they don't even question it. A yogurt and a piece of fruit really doesn't bother them, perhaps if it did then my opinions would be different. :shrug:

One of the reasons it's been done (not that I agree or whatever - I've point blank refused to get involved with snack/lunchbox policing whereever I've taught) is that some packed lunches that were coming in were utterly utterly indescribably horrific - while you might think parents have a clue... some really either don't, or didn't give a stuff.

Examples I've seen - a complete leftover curry (adult sized portion) - for a 4 year old.

A lunch consisting of half a chocolate easter egg and two Jacob's cream crackers

Numerous primary kids coming in with cans of Red Bull (can imagine how THAT went down in the afternoon lessons - it more than flipping gave 'em wings)

A primary head near us, one of the first to tighten up on lunchbox policies did so because they were getting a helluva lot of packed lunches consisting of: chocolate spread sarnies, chocolate mousse, chocolate biscuit and share bag size packets of crisps.

I think some of it is dinner ladies being overzealous and getting wrong ends of sticks though.

As for the water bottles - I've never allowed them completely unrestricted in my classes. Always had them on a table on the side (because otherwise they end up spilling all over books when kids fiddle with them or you end up talking to a class of Y6 with them permanently fixed to their faces like babies with dummies), and the rule that you don't disrupt lesson input time to go ask to have a drink, go get one when you come in from playtime, or when it's quiet work time and if you're using it as a timewasting tactic - you will get told to put it down. Some people still come into schools effing and jeffing about that and it being infringements of rights and stuff - but otherwise it's nigh on impossible to teach as you're explaining something and get hands up for water bottles every 2 minutes, and they just get spilt everywhere - so most teachers have some form of rules about using them sensibly or they DO get used as a massive work avoidance routine... I mean by the time you've sharpened five pencils to get one that meets your requirements, taking the longest route around the classroom possible to get to the bin, then asked to go to the toilet, then killing a good five minutes faffing about by the classroom sink is a perfect tool for the discerning procrastinator (and yep, I speak as one of the masters of the artform when I was a kid myself)!

Ozzie no school would say your child canni have water to drink in the daytime. Schools have been encouraging kids to bring water to drink for the last 10-15 years, depending where you are in the country.

Dizz I have to completely agree with your posting. Water bottles in class cabn be one of the biggest pains in the neck ever. Older children do tend to sit with them in their mouths all day and they are the greatest excuse to get up, wander about and waste time!

Tyler will be starting school on Tuesday and I know that no choc bars are aloud to go in but I think everything else is fine!

I know if I gave Tyler a health lunchbox he wouldn't eat half of it! Il be putting what I know Tyler likes whether is healthy or not I'd rather him eat something and enjoy it than get upset and hungry over it!

Ozzis no school would say your child canni have water to drink in the daytime. Schools have been encouraging kids to bring water to drink for the last 10-15 years, depending where you are in the country.

Interestingly enough, schools in the USA really don't govern what's in a child's lunchbox, but they do when it comes to a child having water in the classroom. Weird.

I don't understand why people are getting so irate tbh. Crisps and chocolate are not good for our children, so it's got to be a good thing that they don't allow these things in schools. If you dont want food taken away from your child, then don't give them banned food :shrug: if you want to give your kid a treat, do it at weekends or after school :shrug: there are too many overweight kids unfortunately in our country, so I am glad that the government are being proactive. Noone is gunna starve if they can't have a bag of crisps. What is wrong with a sandwich, yoghurt, and piece of fruit :shrug:

I thought all schools had policies about healthy lunch boxes now. :shrug: I think it's a great idea to be honest. Obviously most parents wouldn't do it, but I remember when I was at school there were children who had nothing but several packets of crisps and chocolate biscuits for lunch. Unless there is a blanket rule in place then there's nothing the school can do about it. That kind of food may be nice for an occasional treat but has absolutely no nutritional value, so I just don't think school is the place for it. Also, diet has a big effect on concentration and learning. Children are at school to learn, so it seems sensible for schools to have rules that will help the children get the most out of their education.

same at my sosn school they not aloud chocolate or crisps in packed lunch and they arent alowed fizzy or sugery drinks as they are promoting healthy eating not because other kids carent have it

this doesn't really affect me as lo will be having school dinners as they have a great reputation for food and won a 5 star award for their kitchen hygiene last year, if he wanted to go for packed lunch then we wouldn't put any junk in there regardless of the rules, I'm with the government on this one, if it's in the school policy then it's a school rule that has to be followed, if parents are really against it they should be taking it up with the school and seeing if anything can be done but I don't see the big deal? nobody's child is going to die because they didn't eat crisps or chocolate for lunch :shrug:

Not always as easy at that. My son has the SAME lunch everyday and he would go crazy if it changed! Its one part of school life that stays the same for him x

School dinners get ice cream for desert? I am sure my son having 2 jaffa cakes is not much worse lol.

I'm guessing the parents who don't understand why its a problem for some, don't have children who are extremely fussy or have some sort of food aversions/problems.

A lunchbox policy doesn't and never will apply to my child as far as i'm concerned because she has a very limited diet (not for lack of trying believe me!) and will only eat certain things, if i took those away and gave her something thats on their 'good' list she wouldn't eat. She just wouldn't. Not only that but it would cause huge problems for her, in the classroom afterwards aswell not just the lunch hall. She has to have the things she will eat otherwise she'd have nothing all day and there happens to be very few things she'll eat. She's not overweight at all and theres no cause for concern so what i put in her lunchbox is no one elses buisness, i struggled for a long time to find foods she'll eat, now that i have no one will tell me she can't have them!! x

School dinners get ice cream for desert? I am sure my son having 2 jaffa cakes is not much worse lol.

I think the rules are in place though because some parents don't just stop at 2 jaffa cakes, I know its probably only a very few parents but some do send their children to school with a lunch box full of crap, I've seen people do it on the way to school before, I suppose it is parents like that that ruin it for the rest of the kids. :shrug:

At least with School dinners they know it is only a certain amount of times a week and it is incorporated into a otherwise healthy diet. At DD's current school they don't have ice cream on the menu but at her previous one it was once a week. :flower:

F has just started nursery and i got told off on the first day for putting about 3 cadburys animal biccies and a flavoured mineral water carton drink in her lunch box, everything else was healthy, a brown bread sandwich, a ryvita with a mini tub of philly, a fruit salad and a yogurt.
They said that the 3 little biscuits were too unhealthy to have in a lunch box but they allow the school dinner children to have up to 3 portions of various cake and custard/ice cream every day! i told them i would continue to put them in for her and if i found out they were taking them out that i would complain and she would be coming staying at home for lunch and coming in later, which they dont like.
I couldn't believe that they were saying no to my girl having a carton of flavoured mineral water (it says it on the lid of the carton so it wasnt as if they thought it was filled with rubbish) there was kids there drinking squash from bottles! i just told her she would also be having that in her lunch.
I think its stupid that we are told what we can and cant have in the lunch boxes! i think that instead of saying no that there should be a letter sent home to children who the teachers have noticed have a lot of rubbish in the lunch box.

I would love my child to have school dinners :( He wouldnt touch them with a barge pole and will only eat cold foods that are pretty bland or what he is used to. His diet is VERY limited and he has no risk of being over weight lol he is teeny.

Its like he cant not have peanut butter sandwiches as that is his routine. He does eat his lunch in a separate lunch club but he has to have his sandwich and jaffa cakes!! lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->