Schools (type)

tasha41

Mum & Dad + 1
Reaction score
OH has kind of surprised me.. he doesn't want LO to attend normal school. He says it's too mid-level and vanilla.. so it's hard for kids to be challenged or develop their talents etc. He also dislikes how public schools are run.

Until now, we figured LO would attend French Immersion in our Catholic school board here (free, but there's extra costs for uniforms). We're Catholic, it makes sense. OH, the more devout of the 2 of us, feels that they don't teach THAT MUCH about the religion- classes are quite basic and focused on certain values, ethics, etc more than the fine details of the Church. Fair enough, I feel we can teach our LO about our faith. It's not out for us though, we want her to be around peers and have the opportunity to try sports etc, plus this system is all we know ourselves.

So we're looking into a private Christian school. Non-denominational so it's not as if she is following practices we do not, but may miss things like certain sacraments, that we both made with our classes at the appropriate ages. We usually had other kids joining us for these that did not attend our school, but there was a lot of preparation done in school that she'd miss then. One flat tuition that would be manageable and is elligible for tax deduction as you can claim some as a charitable donation.

We're also looking at "plain" private school. Would be tough though financially- it's expensive here as there's 1 with no competition. The tuition ranges from 4-21k; what's with the range? There are bursaries and scholarships for athletics, academics, low-income.. but we make too much to get the low-income one.

Homeschooling is out- I don't feel confident we can teach her well enough. She needs a lot of social interaction too, just her personality.

I'm intrigued by the idea of Waldorf schooling.. would be interested in hearing from experience from someone who has a child in any of the above.. before I talk to OH further. She's due to start in Sept. 2013, she's very bright, social, energetic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->