Sciatica sufferers, do you have to have a C-Section?

IsabellaJayne

Mum of beautiful girls! WTT Dec 2023
Reaction score
Hello Ladies of 3rd Tri :)

Popping over from 1st tri to ask all those sciatica sufferers, particularly pre-pregnancy sufferers.

Ive had bad sciatica since I was 14 (now 21), Im now 9 weeks pregnant with my 1st baby and sciatica is already bad, i cant imagine how much worse its going to get.

Im now worrying of how I will give birth, will I be advised to have a C-Section? Anyone else in the same boat?

I had a spinal injury when I was 19 and chronic pain, including sciatica has been with me since. With my 1st and present pregnancy I have had pelvic girdle pain which has made sciatica and lower back pain worse. Although I have always had sections - this is not associated with sciatica and in early pregnancy with 1st, I was told sciatica and back pain was not a reason for section but it may be that they would induce you around 38 weeks to ease strain in last few weeks.

Thank you, I will talk to my midwife, just no idea how ill cope, its so painful.

I have bought a pelvic instability belt, not cheap at £40 but so supportive and helps a lot. I went to physio at 17 weeks and she told me to refrain from all exercise - even antenatal swimming. So walking is really all I have done. I would contact physio ASAP and get yourself on their caseload.

On a brighter note, my second pregnancy was a walk in the park - was on a bouncy castle the day before due date!

C section is major surgery and doctors don't usually recommend it unless there is no other option...

It will be something to talk to your doc about but I'd say they wouldn't want u to have a section based on sciatica

I had sciatica that came about with my first pregnancy and delivered naturally. I've been having problems with my back since then. I had an MRI which showed nerve damage and a slipped disc (after I was done being pregnant). This time around I still plan to deliver naturally.

I had sciatica before and during my last pregnancy and a section was ever, ever mentioned. It also didn't inhibit my labour at all, although that was mostly in the pool so took a lot of the weight off.

I have it again this time and although I have declined a section, it was offered for something totally unrelated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->