Sciatica turned out to be SPD

MrsKTB

Mummy to Henry
Reaction score
Been to the docs today as I've been suffering really bad with pain in my lower left back, past 2 days hardly been able to move let alone look after my toddler. Anyhow, turns out its not sciatica, sciatica is very rarely brought on my pregnancy, but in fact it's SPD. I always assumed that SPD affected the front of the pelvis, but the back and/or sides are pretty common too....just most people mistake it for sciatica.

Waiting for a referral to a physio now, although, dr did suggest an osteopath too. If anyone else is suffering with what they think is sciatica, it's worth getting checked.

My understanding is that if you suffered from sciatica prepregnanccy, it's fairly common to continue to suffer from it, and it can even get worse during pregnancy.

I've had it for years, and what I have now is exactly the same.

I think the biggest difference (from my understanding of SPD) is that SPD tends to be nonstop pain, whereas sciatica comes and goes, and usually doesn't last more than a minute or so at a time (even though it can keep on coming and going for long periods at a time).

I'm not saying people shouldn't get checked out, but if someone had sciatica prepregnancy, it's fairly likely that that's all it is.

Also, as a longtime sciatica sufferer, sciatica is different from what you describe here as your SPD pain. Sciatica usually feels more like short shooting pains in your back and normally down one or both sides and legs.

I'm not saying if you USUALLY suffer with sciatica then it MUST be SPD when you're pregnant. What I'm saying is, if you don't usually suffer from sciatica, it is worth checking out with your doctor, rather than assume you have suddenly developed sciatica, as pregnancy doesn't tend to bring sciatica on in non sufferes, as per my doctor.

Oooh thanks for this post - I never get back problems but feel like I have sciatica - I think it could be spd from what you've described xx

I've got a lot more pain this time, I've been seeing a chiropractor but not sure whether to go to the Dr to see what they think too :( I've struggled caring for my LO today!

I'm not saying if you USUALLY suffer with sciatica then it MUST be SPD when you're pregnant. What I'm saying is, if you don't usually suffer from sciatica, it is worth checking out with your doctor, rather than assume you have suddenly developed sciatica, as pregnancy doesn't tend to bring sciatica on in non sufferes, as per my doctor.

In that case, definitely. I was just pointing out that they feel very different from what I've heard, and that girls who have had sciatica are probably still suffering from that unless the pain is different :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->