Scoliosis

crazycatlady5

Reaction score
Hey ladies,

Does anyone have experience with scoliosis and giving birth?

Someone just brought to my attention that they were unsure if you could get an epidural with scoliosis???? Was really banking on having an epidural....

I have mild scoliosis and never had an issue with getting my epidural. I would ask your doctor next time you see them.

I've got it and had an epidural with both. Didn't work as well but worked a little x

I have a slight curve in my spin and have had 2 spinal blocks.

I have scoliosis and i tried with my first to have an epidural, they kept trying for 30-40 mins until i begged them to stop and just then done it with gas and air, i never asked for it again and with all my babies stuck with gas and air, my back was black with bruising for a good week after and hurt to move! I dont know if its the curved spine or a sh*t doctor but i wouldnt chance it again myself x

I have slight scoliosis and didn't think this could even affect getting an epidural in.
I am afraid to say that the first guy who tried to put the epidural in tried 6 times (awesome bruise the next day which i DID not feel by the way). I then mentioned I had a slight curve of the spine and he said yes this can affect getting the epidural in.
HOWEVER, they then got a very young lady in who was the senior anaesthetist and she got the epidural in swiftly and easily. She said it was a piece of cake. I really think they can get it in no problems and that the first guy I had wasn't as experienced. At the time I was also having continuous contractions so the poor man only had about 10 seconds each time between contractions to get it in and it was hard for me to hold still for him.

There are lots of ladies out there with scoliosis who have c sections and when my dad had his hip replacement operation he had an epidural and a twilight drug so no general anaesthetic was used at all for him. He said this was the norm now so if scoliosis was a big problem I guess they wouldn't do so many epidurals. (This is my non medical opinion)

I'm sure everything will be fine.

I have slight scoliosis and I just let them know before I got the epidural. He got it in pretty quick and easy and it worked good up until towards the end. I felt him come out and that I tore and the stitching afterwards. I think it really depends on your body.

see if you can get referred to see the anesthetists now to speak to them. they can look at your back to see if there would be an issue. this is what i did.

My sister has scoliosis very severe though and she has been told she can not have an epidural when in labour bias it could bring on permanent peralysis. She's only 15 at the Mom et so has years yet until she has her babies but it a question my mom asked her consultant as we are trying to figure out ways it will effect her in life. Hope this helps.
Charlie xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->