Scottish mums - New CDAT Process being rolled out

sethsmummy

mum to 3 beautiful boys
Reaction score
Hi ladies.. I just thought any ladies in scotland would like to know that i got a letter this morning saying

dear parent/carer

As you know the communication disorders assessment team process is under review. The proposed changes are listed in the attached sheet. We plan to trial these changed from the autumn.

Depending on when your child was reffered you MAY recieve a letter asking you for information about your child and inviting you to a meeting. Otherwise you will hear from us in due course.

We will be seeking feedback from familie about e new process. It is very important for everyone involved to get this right and we will use your feedback to improve our srervices.

The team will aim to keep parents fully informed as we can during this period of change.

The basics are that the are doing a 2 tier process.

The New Model

Some autism assessments need very complex work by many professionals. These complex assessments will continue to need an assessment that is similar to the asesments currently carried out by CDAT.

Many autism assessments are more straightforward and could be carried out by professionals already involved in the childs care on a community basis. These professionals have the necessary skills to carry out high quality assessments consistent with national standards and guidelines.

The new model will be a two tier process allowing some children to be assessed more quickly by those who already know them. More complex cases will also be assessed more quickly because the waiting list will substantially reduce in size.

TIER 1

Any child identified within the community as possibly being on the Autism Spectrum could be reffered for assessment. The professionals working with that child would father the necessary information (including detailed case history/school info/SLT info/observation in the social setting etc). At least two of those proffessionals involved would pull together that information into an afreed report format and match it against the autism diagnoses criteria. They would agree the results with all professionals involved and the parents. If the local team were unable to agree a conclusion or if significant complexities were identified at referral then the case would move to tier 2.

TIER 2

Children assessed at tier 2 would require all of the above background information wiht additional diagnostic information and assessment. These assessments will be undertaken by members of CDAT with particular expertise in complex cases and child development. CDAT will be responsible for ensuring that all cases are assessed within agreed timescales and in line with national standards.

WE will begin implementing the new model in August 2014. There will be an initial period of transition whilst the new model is rolled out and the current waiting list is addressed. Additional resources have been identified to allow us to complete the assessment of a significant number of cases currently on the waiting list over a six month period, commencing in August.

Hope this helps some of you. I really hope my son is called up for the trial. I think he would come under tier 1 as he already has education visitor/health visitors/SALT/ Peadiatrician involved with him. :dance: fingers crossed!

your welcome hun :) Ive not heard anything so i dont think were going to be chosen for it x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->