Scum villages..

Lina

Hooyo
Reaction score
"AMSTERDAM is to create "scum villages" where nuisance neighbours and anti-social tenants will be exiled from the city and rehoused in caravans or containers with "minimal services" under constant police supervision."

These will be rolled out in January, and there is already much talk to have something similar in the UK.

Thoughts...

https://www.independent.ie/world-ne...n-to-house-antisocial-neighbours-3315514.html

i think its quite a good idea i have some neighbours that i would like to send there.
i dont really see it working as some people will never change but at least they will be away from the general public lol

Tbh I think the whole idea is very disturbing and is a total recipe for disaster.

This is quite shocking to me, actually. I think this idea is ripe for abuse. These people have been complained about, but according to the article are not actually criminals? But they are still being forced to live in a ghetto? Maybe the problem of "anti-social" behaviour is really bad, I don't know, but this is pretty extreme. :shrug:

I wonder how they define "anti-social"?

I'll go out on a limb here and say that I don't think it's absolutely awful - the article said:

Problem families who live in social housing or tenants who do not show an improvement or refuse to go to the special units face eviction and homelessness.

To me, that sounds like people working the system and totally unwilling to get off their butts and take on the responsibility of providing for themselves and their families. Not to open another can of worms, but the government should help those who can't help themselves (disability, etc) not those who won't. If someone has had plenty of warning, which sounds like these folks have, and still aren't doing squat, then yes, evict them.

Setting them up in these villages isn't rendering them homeless, but putting them in a situation which is so undesirable that they may wish to clean up their acts so they can get to a better place for their families.

I'm sure mine won't be a popular view, but then, I don't have all the facts. Just a brief article to go off of.

It reminds me a little of what they did to the Jews in Poland, segregating them to the Warsaw Ghetto cause they were jews. Or how America was in the past having bathrooms one for black people and one for white people, kind of the same, maybe not to that extreme but in the spectrum. I think it is an abuse of human rights. There are a lot of people I dislike so what I would not want them to suffer in anyway or be put to hide away. Doesn't seem right to me ..JMO :flower:

It reminds me a little of what they did to the Jews in Poland, segregating them to the Warsaw Ghetto cause they were jews. Or how America was in the past having bathrooms one for black people and one for white people, kind of the same, maybe not to that extreme but in the spectrum. I think it is an abuse of human rights. There are a lot of people I dislike so what I would not want them to suffer in anyway or be put to hide away. Doesn't seem right to me ..JMO :flower:

I think it's a little different to that. Being anti social is a choice, being Jewish or black is not.

I also said not to that extreme but to me it is similar .. You are segregating a certain group, that is how racism and inhuman treatment starts. IMO

ETA : It started in WW2 by asking the Jews to leave, then not letting them own their own business, then not letting them practice their religion, then getting tattooed so they could be identified as being jewish, then led to segregating them, then led to death. I know it sounds extreme, but the start of something little can lead to the end result of something bigger. We live in a Democracy and to put people anywhere because of anything is wrong, if they could do that what what else can they do?

This idea doesnt sit right with me at all ...........will that actually work............and what about the poor children.

I think it's a little different to that. Being anti social is a choice, being Jewish or black is not.

I also said not to that extreme but to me it is similar .. You are segregating a certain group, that is how racism and inhuman treatment starts. IMO

ETA : It started in WW2 by asking the Jews to leave, then not letting them own their own business, then not letting them practice their religion, then getting tattooed so they could be identified as being jewish, then led to segregating them, then led to death. I know it sounds extreme, but the start of something little can lead to the end result of something bigger. We live in a Democracy and to put people anywhere because of anything is wrong, if they could do that what what else can they do?

I understand what you are saying about the act of segregation being similar but there's a difference between someone being asked to live somewhere else for no reason other than nationality, religion etc and someone being evicted due to repeated anti social behaviour and them ending up living in one of these scum villages as a result of their inability to stop ruining other peoples' lives. We already do "put people anywhere because of anything" when we put people in prison for a crime or deport (some) criminals. These scum villages could be the equivalent punishment for repeated anti social behaviour (rather than eviction and allowing them to move to another neighbourhood and affect everyone there the same way) and could be a deterrent to stop people ruining other people's day to day living with their behaviour.

I doubt it would work in practice though because where would the boundaries be? How much anti social behaviour gets you moved there? Would it be abused?

I understand what you are saying, it just seems to me that it is a mini minuet step that may lead into bigger ones. :flower:

hmm sounds like setting up Ghettos....NOT GOOD!

maybe they need to look at why these people are like this, have they been given the chance of an education? Or are there any job opportunities in there surrounding area? Do they have the money or the skills to make a CV?

what hope do these people ever have of improving there life conditions if they segregated and then basically left to rot?

I agree those who continiously show no will to help themselves, should be given the bare minimum in benefits, but along side this they should be given work training, opprtunities for education or at least key skills.

why should children that are born into these families be left with no hope.

I came poverty, and i dont think that has ever been an excuse tp act the way ppl do but i think that coz my dad showed me a good work ethic, and i always wanted better for myself.

again this whole arguement goes back to the benefit system in this country, where it has to stop being beneficial to be on benefits (as a long term solution, different case for those who need help for smaller periods of time). and finally the education system in the country needs improving - which i have to admit it is...but really slowly!

Hmmm you wont be able to breathe next! dont really sit right with me

maybe they need to look at why these people are like this, have they been given the chance of an education? Or are there any job opportunities in there surrounding area? Do they have the money or the skills to make a CV?

what hope do these people ever have of improving there life conditions if they segregated and then basically left to rot?

I agree those who continiously show no will to help themselves, should be given the bare minimum in benefits, but along side this they should be given work training, opprtunities for education or at least key skills.

I came poverty, and i dont think that has ever been an excuse tp act the way ppl do but i think that coz my dad showed me a good work ethic, and i always wanted better for myself.

again this whole arguement goes back to the benefit system in this country, where it has to stop being beneficial to be on benefits (as a long term solution, different case for those who need help for smaller periods of time). and finally the education system in the country needs improving - which i have to admit it is...but really slowly!

Great post! Since when does ghettoising ever have a positive impact on a city? The Paris riots immediately spring to mind.

Great post! Since when does ghettoising ever have a positive impact on a city? The Paris riots immediately spring to mind.

Just saw your ticker - Happy Birthday to Ivy :)

Aww thanks - but ivy actually turned 2 in July, I am just really lazy :haha:

I would need more information on what behavior is considered "anti-social." Does that just mean that if you have a neighbor that isn't particularly nice and keeps to himself, you can have him sent to one of these "scum villages?" (horrible term, btw). I have a hard time imagining what behavior would be bad enough to evict someone but not be criminal. I also think it would be too easy to abuse the system and complain about people you just don't like to try to get them evicted.

Also, setting up ghettos never turns out well. They mostly turn into hotbeds of criminal activity, which is no good for anyone.

Theres plenty where i live that could b sent there. But seriously how would it work?? I think the criteria to get into these villages would b very interesting to see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->