second hand moses basket

Wafflewaffle

Reaction score
So.... 2 people have asked me if I would like their moses baskets, but I thought second hand beds was a no-no? I wish people would stop asking, its kind to be given things but I feel so bad when I say no! this is my first & I don't want to get anything wrong!

Second hand baskets, cribs etc are fine but you might want to buy a new mattress. The SIDS risk is linked to used mattresses so a lot of people buy a new cot or basket mattress for each baby x

You can use a second hand basket but would need a new mattress x

Yes second hand is fine. If te mattress is a sealed waterproof one rather than fabric you can totally sterilise it and use it again. If it's a fabric mattress then it's beat to get a new one as you can't really sterilise fabric mattresses

Thanks guys, I didn't even know you could buy just the matresses for moses baskets to be honest!

You can get them in Argos I think!

I used a second hand moses basket with DD and just bought a new mattress for it. My cousin has offered me her moses basket for this baby which I will take and use for a spare upstairs. I will just buy another new mattress.

I've got a second hand one from a friend, just bought a new mattress from babies r us for about a tenner :)

Can I use the same Moses basket and mattress that my daughter used for my new baby? Or, do I need a new mattress too? X

You do not have to buy a new mattress! It's such a marketing scheme! Of course check for mold and smell it, but all three of mine will sleep on the same mattress without a doubt. Vie asked tons of medical professionals and they all think its whack!

2nd hand beds are ok, new mattress are a must.
I'd never get a 2nd hand cot/bassinet/basket that was more then a few years old though.

I've got a second hand one from a friend & I'm just replacing the mattress, they're £7.99 in Argos! It's saved us about £100 as we also got a rocking stand off her too :)

You do not have to buy a new mattress! It's such a marketing scheme! Of course check for mold and smell it, but all three of mine will sleep on the same mattress without a doubt. Vie asked tons of medical professionals and they all think its whack!

It's not about the condition of the mattress as far as I'm aware, it's the fact that, that mattress has molded to a baby's shape and size which could be completely different to another baby's.

I've asked many, many doctors. It is not a must at all. This is not true sorry ladies!!

It's not about the condition of the mattress as far as I'm aware, it's the fact that, that mattress has molded to a baby's shape and size which could be completely different to another baby's.

I don't believe the mattress has molded to baby's shape. I also just asked about this and more than one doctor said it is totally bizarre to even suggest that.

I asked my friend who is a midwife and she suggested a new mattress for each baby as the mattress moulds to the babies shape, however its one of those things that people will get told different things so may be best to ask your midwife and go with what you think is best. x

I'm gonna get a matress to be on the safe side anyway :) where can you get bedding sets for moses baskets? xx

Mothercare, argos, babies r us, pretty much anywhere sell bedding sets hun x

Mine was second hand it came from MIL who is a smoker so I scrubbed the basket and stand with hot water and dettol, new mattress and new linings/hood

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->