second hand moses basket

I have 2 second hand ones and I have bought new mattress for them both - I know people may say it is not necessary but I would never forgive myself if I used a second hand one and something did happen so for my own piece of mind I have got new ones they are not expensive :shrug: just my thoughts

I was leant a Moses basket, I bought new mattresses both times and washed the bedding before using it just to make sure it was fresh x

We're getting my brothers moses basket that they've used for my nephew (he'll be 6 months when babies due so will of outgrown it), we'll buy a new mattress for it though and wash the bedding so its nice and fresh.

Callums cotbed is being used for the baby after they've outgrown the basket, we'll convert it back to the cot, even though the mattress has only been used by Callum I'm still gonna buy another one for that too, its over 3 years old now and i'd prefer that peace of mind xx

for how much a new mattress costs me personally would just by a new one more so for peace of mind, I also go on would you sleep on a second hand mattress, if the answers no then I wouldn't expect my newborn too, ill also be buying a new mattress for this baby for the cotbed even though there has literally only been dd slept on it x

You do not have to buy a new mattress! It's such a marketing scheme! Of course check for mold and smell it, but all three of mine will sleep on the same mattress without a doubt. Vie asked tons of medical professionals and they all think its whack!

It's not about the condition of the mattress as far as I'm aware, it's the fact that, that mattress has molded to a baby's shape and size which could be completely different to another baby's.

I don't believe the mattress has molded to baby's shape. I also just asked about this and more than one doctor said it is totally bizarre to even suggest that.

Must be different then as I've also asked midwives and doctors who have all said to definitely buy a new mattress. Personal preference I guess but paying an extra £8 or in my opinion risking my child's safety.. I know which I'm choosing, and I honestly don't understand why anyone would take that risk for such little money.

You do not have to buy a new mattress! It's such a marketing scheme! Of course check for mold and smell it, but all three of mine will sleep on the same mattress without a doubt. Vie asked tons of medical professionals and they all think its whack!

It's not about the condition of the mattress as far as I'm aware, it's the fact that, that mattress has molded to a baby's shape and size which could be completely different to another baby's.

I don't believe the mattress has molded to baby's shape. I also just asked about this and more than one doctor said it is totally bizarre to even suggest that.

Must be different then as I've also asked midwives and doctors who have all said to definitely buy a new mattress. Personal preference I guess but paying an extra £8 or in my opinion risking my child's safety.. I know which I'm choosing, and I honestly don't understand why anyone would take that risk for such little money.

Yeah, I'd definitely buy a new mattress too. Idk about the whole moulding to the baby's shape thing but I'd be worried about where it's been, it could have been sat in somebody's attic gathering dust, growing mould and having things crawl over it for all I knew. I'd have to buy a new one or I'd have nightmares about that!

I can actually agree on buying a new mattress after reading the reasons on NHS website. It's mainly recommended because every baby will most probably sleep it flat and with own personal experience, I noticed the other day that my DD started to be heavier and she sort of bended the sides of the mattress so it doesn't fit snuggly in cot. I can also see that it's a bit more flat in the middle. So I will definitely buy a new mattress. Rather safe than sorry for me.

Ive bought a new mattress for my second hand basket purely because you never know what sort of bacteria is on it, and I defo wouldn't be comfortable sleeping on a mattress that was second hand!! I don't take the safety side too seriously - I think a lot of stuff is panic over very little risk, but that's just me. The human race managed to survive before we were told that every other thing is unsafe, and it will continue to survive...that's just my opinion though, I'd never expect everyone to agree with me :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->