Second time+ mums who breastfeed - did it hurt as much the second time round?

Spudtastic

Reaction score
Hey ladies

When I had dd and breastfed, the first few weeks hurt so much. My boobs were huge and my nipples were cracked. I breastfed my daughter for 27 months and only just stopped before this pregnancy.

So, for all you mums who have breastfed more than one baby. Did it hurt as much the second time round? Or should I be prepared to have very sore nipples again.

My second baby is now 5 weeks old. I breastfed my first for 15 months (he is now 3) and I had hoped it would be better the second time around. Sadly for me it wasn't. I didn't get engorged the way I did with my first and didn't get any blocked ducts, but my nipples were in really rough shape the first 3-4 weeks. I got cracks so bad I had to pump exclusively for a few days to let them heal. The thing that helped this time though was that I already had experience pumping and I knew that once things got better nursing is great. Now at 5 weeks, we are over the hump, although I am still getting some pain. I wish I had better news, and I'm sure others have had better experiences than me.

I did see a lactation consultant in the second week and she prescribed APNO cream to me. This made a world of difference in healing the cracks. She also taught me the 'flipple' technique for latching that I think made a difference. Here's a video showing the latch: https://youtu.be/deKN3wJ17Mk

It hurt just as much for me the second time round. I was really hoping it wouldn't but it did... I had quite a long break between though - almost two years.

They were sore this time round but not as sore, the first time the one nipple was bleeding this time the one nipple was just a little scabbed and sore but not quite as painful x

Maybe I got lucky but with my first I bled and cracked and was so engorged (part of the reason I gave up so early) this time no bleeding no cracking just slightly sore and was deffinately engorged but so thankful I didn't get chapped cracked nipples again. I don't know if it actually helped or not but my lc at the hospital told me to let my nipple air dry after each feeding as it will prevent cracking. Good luck!

Yes. It hurt all three times initially, but I was prepared and bought lanisinoh cream second and third time, which helped so much.

Third baby was the first to latch correctly from first feed which helped too!

Yes - the nipples were in just as much pain, I am sorry to say. Cracks and blisters and all that fun stuff.

Thanks ladies. Not the news I was hoping for lol but your replies are appreciated none the less. I guess I had better stock up on the lanisoh.

My first was agony to BF but it transpired I had the latch totally wrong and it caused severe cracking to nips.

My second smarted a teeny bit as the nappies toughened but truly was fine. Second time round I was pre prepared. ..had latch spot on and put lansinoh ointment on as soon as I was tender and this stopped pain :thumpup:

Yes but it was over 2 years between me BF and it didn't hurt for as long, couple weeks maybe, was 4 with DS1. But after pains were out of this world, I did have bad ones first time too though which is unusual.

But to give some positive I coped with it much better because I was more prepared for it and knew it wouldn't last long so wasn't as difficult as the first time :flower:

But to give some positive I coped with it much better because I was more prepared for it and knew it wouldn't last long so wasn't as difficult as the first time :flower:

Thank you :)

I coped with it last time because it wasn't too bad compared to how much my hoo hah hurt for weeks afyer lol :winkwink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->